20 GAUGE FOR A GOOSE ???

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Those light youth models kick like mules in 3 inch duck loads. I'm not recoil sensitive but I shot one I bought for my daughter before she shot it and it startled me.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

#4 Hevi-Shot (or similar products) will kill geese more consistently than a 12 ga. with almost any steel load I know of.

A stout 20 ga. load in a light youth pump will kick more than a standard duck load in most semi-automatic 12 ga. loads.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Nash Buckingham once said to the effect..."A good big gun will out perform a good little gun every time". Just sayin.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, a 12 will kill em 'deader'.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

A whole lot of things the kind of guy who names his gun says.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

A .410 has the potential to kill birds out every bit as far as a 10 ga. with the same pellet size and velocity. I would guess the likelihood of killing a 40 yard honker is far higher with the 10 ga. though.

It ain't a matter of how dead the birds are, it is a matter of the consistency to kill them "as dead."

Pellet count, load options, availability, and in my experience the poor ability to get decent patterns with larger shot sizes in smaller bores all make the 12 ga. a superior option to equivalent 20 ga. loads...

That being said, I shoot a 20 ga. in many situations in which I feel I actually benefit from the "sportiness" of the gun (such as quail or chuckar hunting). And, steel #4's pattern quite well in a 20 ga., and kill ducks almost as consistently as a 12 ga. with similar loads...

Granted, I have not experimented as much as others, but I have not been able to make #3 steel pattern in a 20 ga. nearly as well as I have in the 12 ga. (I would say adequate, but not "well"). I have had no luck in getting #2 steel to pattern in a 20 ga.

7. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Don't use to twos and threes. Use fours and fives.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Negative, Rampart.
    3's are fine in a 20. I know, I shoot them often. 1oz of 3's is about 150 pellets. Plenty of pellets when you choke them right. I usually have them in the 2nd (tighter) barrel, LtMOD or MOD. They will easily reach out to 40 yards, as they did for me yesterday.

I won't knock 5's, except to say you really need to watch your yardages, and your shooting situations may not match someone else's. I am sure they make a fine 25 yard shell, and for smaller ducks. 5's would not work for me, day in and day out.

As for 2's, I have some in my bag. I will put them in if I hear geese coming, though I often question why I do that. Stay in front of the bird, and 4's and 3's are fine at decoy ranges. I guess I do it because my geese are running a river, and may just slide on by, in which case, they are 40-45 yards.

As mentioned, I shot nothing but 4's and 3's, mostly 4's, in Canada. Daily limits, and outshot the guy with the 12ga.

9. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

My 20 shoots 2s very well.

10. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

I have photos of my grandmother back in the very early 50's with geese she shot with her single-shot .410.

BADLARRY250 and Winchester 1897 like this.