20 GAUGE FOR A GOOSE ???

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Oct 2, 2017.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

In the long run, I would suggest getting the stock on a 12 modified to fit her, and that's assuming she can handle the weight. I usually shoot a 2-3/4" load at ducks and geese which is the same payload as a 3" 20. Difference is it has less recoil in the heavier 12 AND a 12 generally patterns that payload better. You also have the option to shoot heavier stuff if she wants to later.

Tuleman likes this.
  2. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Refuge Member

we did consider that, and we might get a stock modified on a 12 if she really does take to hunting.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

What do you mean by "hard"? :scratch
    A shotgun's effectiveness is determined by how large a payload it throws. The larger the payload, the greater the chance of putting shot into the vitals of a bird.
    I love my 20's but I don't harbor any false notions that they are as effective as a 12 or a 10 once you get out to about 30 yards or so. And, even under 30 yards, you can choke a 12 gage to give you a larger effective pattern than you can a 20.
    Small gage guns have their limitations, and the smaller the gage, the greater its limitations.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

All he meant was the pellets are going the same speed. Put X number of pellets in the circle, put the circle on the bird, bird dies. 12, 16, 20, makes no difference.
    Everything you said is true, AQ just didn't take the time to put the qualifiers in there.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With the different materials SHOT is made of , some small gauges will run right with the Big Dogs ! :yes:l:l
    At that distance , it's the ability of the shooter who can make a Little gun Shine ....:tu

6. Tuleman

Not if the big guns are shooting the same type of shot.
    If you want to assign arbitrary limitations on one of those guns, then you can force the outcome any way you like. But, when you compare apples to apples, a big gage(larger payload) will always outperform a smaller gage(lighter payload).

Again, apples-to-apples, a shooter....whether world-class or average....will always do better shooting a gun that throws the larger payload over the long run.
    In skeet, or sporting, the sub-gage classes have lower percentages required for the classes compared to the Open (12 gage) class. That's because in organized target shooting, where ranges and short and shots are always known beforehand, it's harder to kill the target with a 20 gage than it is with the 12 gage. Harder with a 28 than a 20, etc. That's primarily because of payload weight.
    That's also why no class C or B or A or AA trapshooter shoots a 20 gage,even one loaded with tungsten.
    For the very same reasons, it harder to kill the average dove or goose or pheasant with the smaller payloads thrown by the smaller gage guns. That's just the way it is, my friends.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

[​IMG]

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I know you're right Tuleman , there's No if and Ands about it......other than , the cost of the loads when hunting ! :yes
    As to what you have pointed out , I guess it just leaves it to the shooters ability.....doesn't it ?

:grvn:grvn That's another ONE , that the NV Ducker and I agreed on.......:clap:clap

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

He was the same fool that thougt that he was so good that his gun didn't need a safety, right? Just saying !!!

10. Tuleman

NB may have been wrong on the safety thing; I don't know. But he was right on the big gun/little gun thing. That I do know.