20 gauge performance

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Drake91, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I have always shot a 10 or 12 gauge for turkeys with all different kinds of loads an shell lengths... but this year I'm buying a benelli nova pump 20 gauge in mob... for you guys that hunt with 20 gauges what's the furthest to taken birds with them I was thinkin max around 40-50 yards? with these new Turkey loads on the market

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't buy a Nova for turkey hunting, too noisey IMO.

3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Really?.. my buddy has one pump dont seem too noisy to me... but I'm just looking for a budget 20 ga.. just gonna be used for Turkey... I like semi auto but dont know if i wanna spend that much on a Turkey gun to beat up

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I have one as does my son. The forends on any Nova I've ever seen rattle alot IMO. I'd buy an 870(which I'm looking for to build a turkey gun) way before a Nova for a turkey specific gun.

Norcal Ducker likes this.
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I built out a Rem 870 in 20GA last year. Tried to attach a pic with .JPG and .PNG format, but I'm getting an error every time. Added a Rem thumbhole/pistol grip stock to it, a Carlson .555 turkey choke, and a P-223 Nikon scope. I patterned it with Fed 3rd Degree shells yesterday (3" 1 7/16OZ 5,6,7s). 130 pellets in a 10" circle at 40. Those Heavyweight #7s in that shell will kill a turkey at 40-45 yards, I'm told. Also have patterned Kent Diamond shells and Winchester DoubleX shells, but both sucked. Next will be Winchester LongBeard XRs, and Fed Heavyweight TSS in 7s. Haven't went to the store and picked any up yet. I'll keep you posted.

Drake91 likes this.
  6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

My daughter uses a 20 ga. with the Federal 7's HWT. flattens them. I think the furthest she shot one last year was 36 yards. It patterns so well out to 45 it would kill them further

Drake91 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

No idea why this thing won’t post up on the PC, but does on the phone. Anywho... here’s the one I built out:

19490CCD-DFF1-4CFA-BD28-DB77C6AC7ADF.jpeg

Drake91 likes this.
  8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have been using a Benelli Supernova for both duck and turkey. It has virtually no forearm slip and is quiet and accurate...I also have a 20 gauge Nova, but agree that the forearm is more loose and noisy. Wish they could improve that...I also have a Winchester SXP 12 ga. That also has a much tighter forearm.

9. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I limit to 20 yards. Doesn’t matter if I have the 12 or the 20. Missed at 25 yards last year with the 20 but that bird was nervous

10. Duck Undertaker

Duck Undertaker Elite Refuge Member

A correctly set up 20 ga shooting 3" #9 Tss will kill a whole bunch further than 40 yards... A whole lot further than a person has any business shooting one for that matter. In fact it will out shoot any 12 ga shooting any lead load.
    I killed 3 last year with a .410 shooting #9.5's Tss....one of which was a step or two outside of 40 yards, the other two under 30.

Drake91 likes this.