Shooting and Reloading Forum Sponsors

20 gauge shotguns - goid ones/bad ones

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Clayton, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Looking to purchase an automatic for limited hunting situations where confident of close in shooting. Any brands/models to not purchase or ones you would purchase. Not looking for anything fancy. Just a straight up duck gun. While on the subject, what are the preferred loads for med to large ducks over decoys?

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

Clayton, I had a franchi affinity 20ga that I loved. It was sporty and a pleasure to shoot. However, if I was careless, it would give the dreaded click from time to time. The slightest bump could send the bolt out of battery.

I was a fan of federal blue box #4 for everything with that gun, over decoys of course. They were 1300fps loads and patterned very well. I have a friend who is enjoying hevi metal 4's through his 20ga affinity. When it was available, I loved to shoot 1oz of original hevi steel 6's through my 20s.

None of the 20ga that I have patterned have produced acceptable patterns with the 1500+fps stuff. So I always stuck to 1300-1450 fps.

One day I'd love to own a 20ga SX3 and/or the Weatherby SA-08.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have heard nothing but good things about an M-2, or Frianchi Affinity.

3's are always a good all round load.

4. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Remington 1100 LT, Winchester SX3

5. wildfowl4444

wildfowl4444 Elite Refuge Member

Beretta 390 is a great, soft shooting gun

6. duckman54

duckman54 Senior Refuge Member

I've had a Sx3 20 ga for a couple years now, I've shot it more dove hunting than waterfowl so far but not one hiccup
    yet. For waterfowl I use the Kent 7/8 at 1550 #3's mostly. Got a terror choke for ducks and throws a nice pattern
    with those shells.

7. duckcommander 101

duckcommander 101 Elite Refuge Member

I am very happy with my SX3 20.
    It has done the number on turkeys, ducks and geese for me.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

As stated
    • Beretta
    • SX-3
    • Benelli
    • Franchi
    As far as the best loads over decoys... I had the both the best luck with patterning and field performance using #4 steel... The small-bore gun seems to preform better with smaller pellet sizes for sure...

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Beretta 391 20 that I absolutely love. I probably have more confidence in that gun than any other I own.

wildfowl4444 likes this.
  10. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

Hey, Clayton. I'm an older fella who started shooting 20 gauge guns for ducks about 10-15 years ago. My go-to gun is a plain-jane 20 gauge LT Remington 1100. I shoot Blue Box 3/4 oz. #4s almost exclusively through an IC choke. Works fine and kills ducks all day long. The recoil of the 1100 gas gun is as light as you'll find and just a joy to shoot.

For what it's worth, I sold a whole safe-full of the other autos and haven't missed any of them. I take that 1100 up and down the flyway each fall and never feel under gunned. My 1100 is one somebody won at a wildlife dinner and then put on the consignment rack. I think I paid $250 for it. Cheapest gun I've ever owned. Funny how it worked out.

And by the way, thanks for your contributions to the habitat forum.

Timber Hole and leftyhunter like this.