20 lb Canada

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HNH, Nov 24, 2017.

1. HNH

HNH Senior Refuge Member

Searched and looks like 20 lb contest is long gone. Anybody ever shoot one? Freaking people are lighting up a Facebook group claiming killing 20 pounders “a couple times a year.” Dumbfounded this stuff continues. If any legit, skilled goose guys have killed one, please let me know. I’ll insert foot in mouth if you have. Biggest I’ve ever heard of is 15

2. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG] My biggest ever was 16 -3 on certified scales bank in 1984 biggest one i ever saw, been at it since 1971 so quite a long time. I dont think most guys take them and weigh them they guess and miss badly the records show over 20 is possible i believe its 24 pounds or there abouts. I see guys guess weight on fish all the time and miss by pounds not ounces. I dont think those guys have multiple chances a year on birds that big. I am very observant and have only seen giants that size a handful of times in 36 years. We have a giant restoration project in my backyard so i see a lot of them over the years killed a 13 -2 last year very big bird got picture if i can post it i will

3. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

Never bothered to weigh them. With the guts still in them I would believe 15-20 lbs is common. I shoot a lot of giants every season, probably 3/4 of my birds.
    There is a big difference when I get interior birds. Immediately know it is an interior or lesser when the dog can pick it up. Then when I carry it the body doesn't drag on the ground when hold it by the head.

4. HNH

HNH Senior Refuge Member

Agree, just like any story about something larger than normal, exaggerations are Effortless. Still, dudes commenting are acting like it’s common place. I promise it’s not. I’ve weighed some that were absolutely monstrous in the pile compared to the rest. 12 or 13 pounds. Somewhere in this vast country is there a 20 lber loafing around in some sanctuary? probably, but these guys are talking about killing multiple a year. Of course, they’re calling them Canadians, so I’m suspect of their skill set

pud123 likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, not so much.
    There was a contest here years ago, a free doz top of the line goose decoys to anyone who could supply a 20lb goose. Then, a year later, 19. Then 18. Then, 17. A 16lber finally won it, 5 years after the contest was started.

6. HNH

HNH Senior Refuge Member

Right on man, no ball busting I promise, but for grins throw a scale in your blind bag and check some of your biggest. Would be really interested in some data in your area. If you are commonly killing 20 lb geese, can I come? I got gas money and beer!

BirdJ likes this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

While the contest was going on, I dropped a 'monster'. I was pretty excited, and took it to the meat market. 13.5lbs. LONG way from even 16, much less 20

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

This thread should die,it was so unbeaten to death a few years ago
    .I think you could kill a swan over 20.

9. Jjm

Jjm Refuge Member

Anyone is welcome to join me if they are passing through, always an open seat.
    I would be interested on the data between all the subspecies. Be a nice off season read, not something interested in searching for during the season.
    I know until about 10 years ago Ohio required all geese shot basically in the counties of waterfowl refuges where geese were reintroduced to be checked in at a check station.
    I never paid much attention while it occurred. you had to fill out a paper with your personal info and while you did that the check station took bill measures and weight along with any bands.
    I wonder if all that data ever made to a database

10. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member