20 lb Canada

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by HNH, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

The giant restoration project here in SE Kansas had us shut down to hunting for nearly 10 yrs when it opened up we killed 1 bird a year then 6 a year for several year so we waited to shoot big birds exclusively for many years i have weighed over 300 big geese after reopening to hunting it was not uncommon to shoot a 12-13 lb bird but over that they got far and few inbetween We have weighed 21 birds over 14 with the biggest 16-3 not really scientific results but wrote these down in a journal over the years so I know this is true. Do they get bigger? Probally but i have never seen one killed in SE Kansas probally never will either because of all the intergrating breeding with smaller races we have today we still have lots of 12 lbers here kill a few every year that size

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

@P.B. , does the black face paint help finish secret back bay giants?:nutz:l

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Oh Please Please Please let this thread go on!

The last thread was epic - with all the Meat Stick Black Hoody goose slayers claiming dozens of 20 pound plus geese each year - but never seeming to have a good picture or a scale.

ED Vanderbeck and Wareagle1 like this.
  4. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

The 20 lb er is kinda like bigfoot rumored to exist but rarely ever seen and never documented proof that it exists

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I thought it was determined you need to hunt back secluded bays to shoot 20# geese

QuaaackerJack and renoduckman like this.
  6. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I hunt allot where giants were rediscovered and we barely ever shoot a big one. In fact it's common knowledge up here that the giants have gotten quite a bit smaller. When I was a kid in the late 90's we used to shoot a fair amount of 14-15 pounders. When I say fair I mean we got a few a year. I shoot way more geese now then we did back then and I've shot one monster in the last 10 years. I got one that was about 15 pounds two years ago and shot it out of a flock of 15 birds that were all about the same size. My dog struggled to get it back. I couldn't believe the size of it and I specifically remember saying to myself "Wow...I haven't seen a bird this size since I was a kid".

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  7. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

a few years ago had a family group come to our pond wetland area.biggest geese ive ever seen.when real winter came all left but one.this bird stayd all winter and next summer in our cattle feedlot.ate corn every day and grazed mowed grass all summer with his corn.rarely ever flew more than a few yards.probally old and not prime but when the boys caught and weighed it was only 16ish lbs on a feed scale.not certified or very accurate,but damn it was a big bird.bad dog

8. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Back in the 60's I lived in Ohio next to Mosquito Lake. It was one of the original sites for the Giant Canada Goose recovery project. Some real big geese were shot probably 14 to 16.

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

Biggest one today was 13lbs 12oz. I can't imagine a 20 pounder 20171128_111515.jpg

10. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

You also won’t see one!