20 pound geese?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by cs, Feb 23, 2006.

1. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

this debate is always good entertainment. Here is a twist to it. Is it that a 20 pound goose is impossible or do they just not have the time to grow that large before someone pass shots the hog?

2. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

20 is impossible..Tundra swans and average Trumpeters are 20..a goose has a shorter body than a swan...which means it's mass is dense.....the wing span and size would be staggering to get it off the ground. unless you strap a jet engine on it to create thrust...........next year will be interesting......I believe a freak 15 something...can't imagine a real 16, Biggest one I have ever seen was shot in 1974 by my uncle......just shy of 14 1/2..(we didn't have a digital scale)

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Senior Refuge Member

Rochester,Ill. Sangamon "I love the smell of diese
    Have one mounted-table style,on my entertainment center. At the time I had it mounted the taxid. charged by the pound to mount em in those days. I was there when she weighed it and the other as well ---21 and 22 lbs. Killed both at Banner Marsh in Ill. The taxid. told me she thought they were a cross between a greater and a domestic-I dont know-all I do know is they were the last two geese my old dog ever retrieved, and I got one mounted to prove it.

4. Merganser Sluicer

Merganser Sluicer Elite Refuge Member

I bet he also mounted a lot of four and five pound Mallards also then?

:l

5. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Elite Refuge Member

I can almost bet that they either have been around or still are. :tu

6. yukon2

yukon2 Senior Refuge Member

I'm not certain if anyone is familiar with a researcher from the Illinois Natural History Survey named Harold C. Hanson who spent quite a bit of his career in the Baffin Islands studying snow geese there. If so please bear with me. A friend and fellow researcher from MN contacted Mr. Hanson while banding and studying Canada geese near Rochester MN. Upon request Mr. Hanson arrived in Rochester and helped with the banding. During weighing and careful observation of the birds they noticed the weight of these birds to be above average than the "normal" weight of Branta canadensis interior of similar age. This difference, as well as the length of the mandible, gave the reaserchers enough evidence that a once believed extinct species, Branta canadensis maxima, was in fact alive and nesting near Rochester. The data collected during the study actually documents live adult birds with weights of 20 pounds plus. Of course, the adaptability and explosion of this species is easily observed while viewing suburban America, business parks and parts of the rural midwest. :tu

7. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

I have read that some of the resident Canadas here in KS have cross bred. Greater and Maxis. Ends up a smaller golf course goose.

8. quackpot

quackpot Refuge Member

what is the biggest shot in kanasas this year? i have a friend who hauls trailors all over the u.s. he said when he came through there last week he say geese everywhere mainly snows and canadians. but he say a couple hundred that looked alot bigger with the canadians but they looked the same.

9. GOOSN1

GOOSN1 Elite Refuge Member

we weighed the biggest 2 we shot this year one was 15.8 and the other was 15.7 on a digital scale.. hope i get the first 16 pounder next year!!...Tim

10. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I will believe in the 20 lb honker just as I will believe in the saskwatch, just as soon as someone can PROVE that they exist. Yea, yea, we have the word of some biologist and then there are the contests that are somehow verified by someone's signature. But if that truely big goose exists, surely someone would have sent me one!

You can probably tell that I am a little bored since the season is over and this thread just might liven up things a little bit! Paul