20 pound geese?

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by cs, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Honker Guide

Honker Guide Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

This is just an observation, but in general, the smaller the goose the farther the migration that it undertakes. Alot of the Westerns do not migrate unless forced to migrate. Also, a lot of the so called giants that are shot up in Alberta are western great basin honkers. There is obviously a lot of confusion created because most hunters wnat to hunt the GIANTS! Therefore they call the Westerns, giants [maximus]. The giants or maximus geese are known to have a white spot in front of the eye. Some of the claims of shooting a really large goose are really westerns that they have shot. Paul

2. Skeptic

Skeptic Elite Refuge Member

Here's a pic of a goose Chasin shot with white wingtips, bars and a white patch. From what we've read, a true "giant".

[​IMG]

3. goosehunter2118

goosehunter2118 Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a Quill bird to me.

4. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Feet aren't right for a Quill Lakes goose. The ones of them I have seen have had a pinkish tinted foot with black speckles on it.

I have a Giant at the Taxidermist right now with the white bar between its eyes that I killed up in Northen Alberta. Pretty good sized goose but no more then 12-13 pounds TOPS.

5. chuckwheat

chuckwheat Elite Refuge Member

Here's a picture of what I gave been told is a true giant. This was taken when we were banding them but we did not weigh them at the time.
    [​IMG]

Chuck

6. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

that bird HAS to be 15 pounds from the camera angle etc Did you get an official weight on that one?

7. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

That's what my mine looks like. White bar from eye to eye across the front of the head, the bar is not quite as pronounced on my goose as it is on that one.

8. Mark Moreland

Mark Moreland Elite Refuge Member

I have also seen Quills with black feet,like a normal colored Honker has.I just think there are some color variations in the Quill birds out there.

9. chuckwheat

chuckwheat Elite Refuge Member

When we banded this one (It actually was double banded with a reward band) I said I would get it mounted if I ever shot it. Haven't seen it since, think I scared it.:l

Chuck

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Senior Refuge Member

Rochester,Ill. Sangamon "I love the smell of diese
    Well- Posted my pics. up to see as requested and as I fiqured this was not enough again. Had a witness to boot,documentation from the taxid.,and pictures.

Moderators must now get involved to save face for this site and its creditability.

Thanks Kevin/Bigfoot