2002 Yamaha 25 four stroke rattle?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by StumpJumper, Mar 2, 2018.

1. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

This is something that I've been trying to fix for a while. Theres a rattle when in gear and running. Can't figure it out. It sounds like it's coming from the flywheel. But it's new. It's not internal. It's more of an annoyance at this point, but I still want it gone. Any suggestions or experiences with this from any of you?

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Chasing a rattle in an outboard without actually being there to hear it is almost impossible to diagnose. I've got a 25hp 2017 yammie, it has a minor rattle at low speed, goes away when I accelerate, mentioned it when I took the motor in for it's 20hr service, mechanic said it was a non-issue. Given the age of your motor, I'd take it in and let a mechanic listen to it. Back when I worked on cars when people would bring in a car with a phantom/mysterious rattle, we'd tighten the loose nut behind the steering wheel! (LOL)

3. StumpJumper

StumpJumper Refuge Member

I finally found it. On the shallow water drive lever, when I put it down to tilt the motor up or in shallow water drive mode; it rattles. If I move it up to lock the motor in the down position, it stops. Kinda sucks because I like it to kick up in the shallow water drive mode if I hit something.

4. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like prop chatter. Search "prop chatter".

5. CJS

CJS Senior Refuge Member

No its the shallow water drive / my pop’s does the same thing and its a 99