2005 GMC Sierra

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by waterswatter, May 15, 2013.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I bought it new and babied it but after 78,000 miles and 12 years things are starting to fail: half the radio lights went out a couple years ago, seatbelt has been "unclicking" for about a year, differential seals leaking, speedometer quit about a month ago. I'm not complaining but rather reflecting.

2. dukdogz

dukdogz Senior Refuge Member

All are very easy repairs. You can get stepper motors on ebay for % bucks a piece to fix the guages in your cluster. Radio is easily replaced as is the seat belt.

3. BDT

BDT Senior Refuge Member

I've got a 2005 Silvarado 101,000 Miles just replaced a speed sensor for the anti lock breaks. It also burns about a quart of oil every 3000 miles. Baby and take good care of them but they eventully start falling apart. O.K how is a 2005 12 years old?:nutz Mine is 8 years old bought new like yours waterswatter. I'm looking to trade it in here shortly on a new truck.

4. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I don't know...I used my fingers and came up with 12. :doh

5. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

All easy stuff to fix and you can go to a good salvage yard and get the stuff dirt cheap, like the radio, but take your with you so it has the numbers on it and take your VIN number. You will have to go to the dealership to have them mate it with your truck or it will not work. You can also pick up a gauge cluster while there too and install it with about 5 screws and 2-3 electrical plugs. All simple stuff. If you want to go with better sound buy an after market sound system and have it installed :tu

6. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2004 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 presently with 85,000 miles..also have a couple of gauges fluffing- the oil pressure, tachometer...the A/C sometimes blows hot air, know it's a sensor- I turn off the motor, restart, and it starts to blow cold again. It's the work truck package, everything manual, but it has been great, much better than my previous truck, a '95 Dodge Ram 4x4. I would not hesitate getting a new Sierra, I think it's a step above the Chevy Silverado.

7. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

The Chevy and GMC a very long time ago used to be made with different parts at different part and the GMC trucks were better and were more expensive too. However today they are the same, no difference in them except trim pieces.

My son has a 97 Chevy 4x4 short box regular cab with 180k on it, however if you figure it at 20k/yr that is still very low miles for that truck as it yours. My sons truck is the silverado though with no rips tears or anything. I bought it from an old guy that kept it stored inside and it is as white on the bottom as it is on the top with no rust in MICHIGAN! Go figure! I gave 5k for it with a fiberglass visor and tanue cover, life time warranty exhaust and fresh rebuilt trans with 3yr warranty. What is cool about the older trucks is there are a million of them, parts are cheap and easy to find and there isn't anything that you can't majorly rebuild or overhaul for a grand or less.

Your old work truck would be a dandy just to put a few bucks into and drive until it dies...lol! :tu

8. Jerry

Jerry Elite Refuge Member

Have had good luck with my 02 GMC Z71 140K Just getting some rust on rockers and cab corners. Other than that usual stuff, brakes, PM type stuff. I'm more of a Ford guy, but have really enjoyed this truck.

9. Wtrdawg

Wtrdawg Senior Refuge Member

Glades Ranger,
    I have a 05 chev 2500 that blows out warm air on the passenger side when the AC is on. What sensor do I need to fix this and is it a hard fix ? :scratch
    John

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager