2006/2007 Season Pictures!

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Kimmie, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

The next generation of mottled/mallard crosses.......keepin' em safe for next season!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my boy

[​IMG]

2. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya....all them gsp guys roll their eyes at a pointing lab....i just laugh.

i Had a nice female gsp years ago...had her bred and somebody stole the pups at 4 weeks old....im sure they were starvin and few days later they shanked my female....man i woulda killed em if ida found who did it...havent been able to bring myself to get another one.

i have been lookin at some english pointers lately tho.....that said i love my PL and the way he hunts.

GREAT PICS ALL:tu

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Here is my nephew and his first bird I called in for him on youth day here in Maryland. Double bearded (10 3/4" +8")
    with 1 5/16" and 1 1/4" spurs. Perty nice first bird!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Story is here:
    http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=525492

Doug

Great pics BEG hows that toller doing?

4. DDragon47

DDragon47 Senior Refuge Member

Great looking Pic. Blueyed thanks :tu

5. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

Doug-

He's doing great! Still working on the gun shyness. I picked him up from the pound at about 8 months old, so he's about a year and a half now. He's a sweet heart. I think he was abused with a bang stick or shot at a few times or something like that before I got him b/c him just being around a gun for the longest time, he went and cowered in the corner. Makes working on the gun shyness a bit slow...but we're progressing. Here are a few more just cuz I like to brag about my boy (he's my first dog of my very own, so it's a huge learning process for me in training him too)

[​IMG]
    practicing his snorkeling

[​IMG]
    HAH! as close to a point as I"ve ever seen him!!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

hERE IS A COUPLE OF GOOD DAYS IN JANUARY THIS YEAR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Band Man

Band Man Elite Refuge Member

8. dakndug

9. dakndug

Well this morning my friend Dave and I were out trying to get him his first longbeard. Arriving at about 5:20, we got our gear together and headed towards the roost zone. It was 58 degrees and there was no wind. On the way to the zone, we heard one bird go off. Closer yet we hooted to nail his location and he fired back.

We set up just off a logging road in an area that was depressed a bit from the rest of the area, with a little brush in front of Dave, we were ready to begin. I set up about 20 yds behind him, a clearcut to our rear, a creek to our right, the logging road running right to the birds, maybe they'll come right down the road, yeah right.

A tree call and flydown cackle and we had 7 - 9 birds gobbling. 3 in our zone! Within 10 minutes the gobbler was on the ground, it was 5:50. I started off with a little yelping and light cutting and in 2 minutes I had 1 jake and a hen within 20 yds of me behind me and to my right. They were loudly clucking looking for the other hen and the gobblers were to the left of the logging road coming in. A big hen flew out of a tree about 50yds in front of Dave and landed about 25yds in front of him on the logging road and she started cutting and clucking real loudly and that got the other 2 birds clucking hard and I clucked and yelped right along with them.

I knew I had to challenge the hens in order to draw the gobblers to within shooting range, I could see glimpses of them now and then about 65 yds out. The hens kept clucking hard and they kept closing the distance looking for this other hen (me). I kept up the challenges throwing in a yelp and purr and they would fight purr call back at me. The gobblers were gobbling and closing the distance, there were 2 of them and one was a hoss and the other was a good one as well.

Finally the gobblers closed the distance to @50yds from Dave and 45 from me. The hens kept up the clucking and purring at me, and I limited my calling now as I knew the gobblers should be able to see the hens and maybe even the jake. They eased a bit closer, but Dave needed to make a little gun adjustment but did good waiting til they went behind a holly tree and moving and getting on them. Finally one of them presented a good shot and Dave put his first longbeard on the ground. Time of the kill, 6:08! After wearing him out with pictures :D of a beautiful bird, the left wing had some solid black feathers, and some really neat colors in the feathers to the rear of the wing and just a great bird in all, but not big weight wise.

He was 15 1/4 lbs, had a nice 10 1/4" beard and again very sharp and pointy 1 1/16" spurs! A great first longbeard Dave, it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to get you that first limbhanger longbeard! Congrats again dude and thanks for breakfast too!

Doug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

ahhh that dave....the sight of you two in the woods would send me runnin:dv

kidding of course nice bird fellas:tu