2010 MB 35 Louisiana Special

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Marshbum, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

So when I started it up on Saturday before the hunt I heard a gawd awful noise I cannot describe. Shut her down and tried it again. Turned over like normal and ran great. Made the short run to the spot and hunted then returned. After she was up on the trailer I noticed the plate between the motor and the belt/drive housing was loose. I can rotate it and the thin white spacer 360 and notice 4 empty holes where I figured bolts use to be. How does one go about fixing this!
    PB180697.JPG

2. Marshbum

3. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Four bolts missing which go thru belt housing in to crank case cover. Remove top cover on belt housing and you will see where they go in the slotted holes behind top belt gear. Probably will find the bolts in bottom of belt housing. I would check belt tension after replacing them, may have to readjust. Hopefully belt and bottom gear are OK, not much clearance in bottom of belt housing for bolts. If bolts aren't in belt housing, then some one has failed to install them when belt housing was removed for some reason. They can be a challenge to get tight enough. ???

4. Marshbum

Thanks Olefart. They have never been removed in the 7 years I have had the motor (shipped from factory). So I assume corresponding nuts go on the outside. Something I should get from MB or maybe Home Depot is the ticket. Any idea on the size?

Anyone else ever hear of this happening?

5. Marshbum

Disregard the nut ref. Just reread... they go thru crank case cover.

6. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Bolts go thru belt housing and screw into threaded holes in crankcase cover. They are a metric size, which I don't have the size and length. I would recommend getting ahold of Mica at MB. for size and length. He maybe able to ship you some or tell you what size they are so you can purchase some locally. I would check the bottom of belt housing to see if they are laying in the bottom of it. Might be they vibrated loose and fell out. Bolts will go thru the aluminum belt housing, metal spacer and the nylon shim and screw into holes in Crank case.

7. Marshbum

Thanks! Yup, they are probably at the bottom. Cannot believe they all 4 went at once.

8. Marshbum

So after being mothballed since NOV (used my big water boat to chase divers), I pulled the motor apart today. As you indicated, all 4 bolts and washers were at the bottom of the housing. After realizing there was no way I was going to get them in with the clutch in place I removed it to get access to the holes. Unfortunately the bolts with locknut and washer seem too short and won't bite. I did loosen the bottom 4 bolts on the bottom of the housing but it does not seem to be enough. Any tips that would let me get those top bolts secured?

9. Marshbum

Here is a pic of what I found! Any tips on how to get them back in (bite into holes in motor housing) would be appreciated.
    Loose bolts.jpg

10. Marshbum

Update.... Pulled the belt housing off. All 4 bolts actually broke off. Looks like I will have to get them tapped out or replace the rear engine plate.