2010 MB 35 Louisiana Special

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Marshbum, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully the broken bolts come out of the crank case cover with out stripping the threads in the cover. If threads are stripped you may need a new crank case cover, or try putting in some Heli coils. If you need any parts, and get them off line at BPS mention DE10% and you will get a little discount. If new crank case is needed, I would recommend the Bolt hole bushing kit which goes in engine block along with new gasket and oil journal Orings. On the motors we've done, we also replace the block bolts with studs and locking nuts we get locally. They are a metric size 8Mx1.25 grade 8 studs.

2. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Thanks OF. We probably going to pull the crank case cover and put it on a drill press to extract the bolts. Needed a new seal anyway as I have the typical 1 O'clock leak. Roger that on the bolts.

One other thing I noted is I think the bolts (when they backed out) rubbed on the belt (see pic). Not much damage but the belt is slightly thinner where they rubbed. P3040221.JPG

3. Olefart

Probably run along time, but IMO I think I would replace it with a new one. Friction heat may have weaken fibers in belt. Might save you having it break and leave you stranded. Motors take a beating when hitting stuff. I had one break on me, and didn't Have a spare in my kit , had a long wait for a tow.

4. Marshbum

Thanks again for the tip and continued advice OF. Mud Buddy just responded to my note indicating the bolts at 5/16 x 24 1 1/2 Grade 8. My broken off bolts range from 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 long (now) so it does not look like I have much to tap out in any of the holes. The rep did say I need to use blue Loctite when reinstalling. Kinda confused me as I thought you needed to slightly loosen them (once reinstalled) to adjust the belt tension. Failure to get them tight enough (the last time) is why I am in this boat in the first place. However, I don't see how you could re-apply every time you had to adjust the belt.

TC

5. Marshbum

Success! We were able to get the broken bolts out today. With a little retapping we successfully got the replacements in. Appreciate your help OF.

Question: The hard rubber tube that runs from the front right of the engine (over the oil filter) to the belt housing. What does that do? I had to cut my old one to remove it and want to replace with the plastic corrugated tube as seen on the newer models. Are there any specs I need to be aware of or will the home depot stuff work?

TC

6. Olefart

That tube helped channel air to the belt housing from the fan shroud, to help cool belt-clutch. Some models came with it and others didn't. It s optional whether you reinstall it or not. The last two MBs I had never had one from factory.

Attached Files:

7. Marshbum

Good deal. That hard rubber one was a problem to get around when changing the oil filter. The new plastic/flexible one is now installed "just because". Thanks again for your help.
    The crew is coming out this weekend to finish the job. Will keep you posted.

8. Marshbum

Success! Pix of my buds making it happen. P3170224.JPG

9. Marshbum