2010 moose season pics

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by dallen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Freezers are full, now back to ducks.:amen

Moose season went well this year. Was up in the area I've been hunting for the last 7-8 seasons, and it proved once again to be a productive area. We found this bull last season, in about the same area, but passed on him as he was in an area that was difficult to get to, and pack out of. We were able to call him lower and decided he was in an area that was more practicle. We started the hunt doing some calling, glassing and waiting for someone to pop his nose out of the trees. We were able to call in several smaller bulls, none of which were legal. Was still fun to mess with them, and called them into about 35 yards. But mostly, patience, calling and waiting.

[​IMG]

We set up to call in the morning, and after about 3 hours of nothing, got up and started talking about what to do next. My wife says she seen something move out of the corner of her eye. We go over to investigate, and find moose tracks about 50 yards away, hauling butt the other direction.....we got busted blabbing. We move in the direction of the tracks, trying to find the moose responsible for making them and I spot our bull looking at us from about 800 yards. We do some calling and scraping to put him at ease and wait it out. He eventually moved his cows into an aspen stand and beds. We decided to go after him and see if we could get a shot at him bedded. We make it to the area we last seen him and were sneaking along when he jumps up from his bed at about 40 yards and takes off....no shot. Thinking that he's blown out of the valley, we go back down and get with our buddy at the bottom of the hill. He tells us, two cows busted out and headed into the next valley, but the bull and one cow stayed put. So, we decide to stay put and wait it out to see what happens. At about 4 pm, cows start wandering out of the aspens, followed about 10 minutes later by the bull. He gives us a good shot, long one, but good, and we put him down.

[​IMG]

Shot him in the evening, and had a buddy with a cow tag that was able to kill one of the cows he had in tow......

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. dallen

So, at 5pm we have two moose on the ground and a late night coming. Knowing it had been getting down to freezing at night, we decided to open the bull up to cool overnight, and take the cow apart and get it packed and hung near camp. Woke up the next morning to a nice hard frost and loaded up and went back for the bull. My buddy had to leave that morning, so it was just me and my wife to do the bull. We got back to the cow's gut pile / carcass to find it had been mounded over during the night, which always puts a little anxiety on a guy when having to quarter a moose with a brown bear in the area. The bull was about 50 yards from the cow gut pile, but the bear had not really messed with it much, and hadn't eaten any of the bull. So, we did some hollering and made sure the bear knew we were there and began the work of taking the bull apart.

[​IMG]

After about 2 1/2 hours of work, he was ready to be loaded onto the horses for the pack back to camp.

[​IMG]

We spent the rest of the day in camp relaxing, eating and getting ready for the pack out the next day. The pack out was pretty uneventful, which is the way I like them

[​IMG]

The end of another good moose season, several family freezers full for the year, and I get to go back to duckhunting.

3. creighton58

creighton58 Elite Refuge Member

Amazing! Thanks for the pics and stories.

4. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

5. dallen

Hey! Your in Wyoming now? We'll be heading down that way next year for elk (if the state of WY is kind enough to award me a tag that is). How's everything going for you and the family?

6. Chen_caerulescens

Chen_caerulescens Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Congrats and thanks for sharing

7. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

Family is doing good. Sarah is of course expecting. Only been here since Jul. Tomorrow is the openner in ND and I wish I was there. The duck hatch was incredible from what I hear. Looks like I will have some good waterfowling here as well but I will have to wait a bit. We are in Cheyenne so if you need a roof over you head let me know!

8. dallen

Good to hear all is well! Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

We'll be heading to ND in November again this year. So hopefully, the pheasant are doing fine also.

I've promised my daughter Mal a pronghorn hunt when she turns 12, so we may come visit you in a couple years, if your still there.

9. marshstomper

marshstomper Refuge Member

Great story and pics. I can't wait to get an Alaskan moose myself.

10. Blackbart

Blackbart Elite Refuge Member

Great bull and good story too. Thanks for sharing.