2010 moose season pics

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by dallen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. sideslip

sideslip Refuge Member

From down here, your trip sounds like a trip of a lifetime.
    I enjoyed your story and pix; thanks for sharing.
    Congratulations on filling the freezers.
    Good luck with the ducks.

2. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Couple other pics from the hunt. These were other moose that were called in. Most ended up being small 2-4 year olds, but it was still fun to watch them come in and play with them. Most came to within 35 yards, but for some reason, I didn't take any pictures of them that close. I was too busy playing I guess. These guys will grow up to be somebody worth knowing in a couple years.

This is the "blonde" cow that we called in early in Sep. She came to within 25 yards, with horses snorting, dog growling and barking, and me standing up talking. Evidently, she really wanted a bull to hang out with. My buddy ended up shooting this one the following week just minutes after I shot my bull. He drew a cow tag for the unit, and gets to enjoy some really good tasting meat.

[​IMG]

Little paddle bull we called in. Probably high 30" to low 40" type bull. Two brow tines on each side kept him walking.

[​IMG]

Small forkie that came in to calling. He had a small kicker on one of the forks that I thought would be close to a point, so we played it safe and let him walk.

[​IMG]

Lunch time for humans and horses. Weather was absolutely fantastic the entire time we hunted.

[​IMG]

3. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

As always Dave - thanks for taking us along!
    Bones

4. dallen

Hey Bones....no AK trip this year?

5. Mr.Bones

Mr.Bones New England Moderator Moderator

No and have to say, this year it really bothered me that I didn't.
    Wife even could see it - going to make it next.

6. Tim Andrews

Tim Andrews Senior Refuge Member

Very nice, Thanks for sharing!

7. Dogbox

Dogbox Senior Refuge Member

Something I've always wondered about, what do you do with a moose after he's down? I've killed a lot of deer, but it's pretty easy to haul one home, hang it up and cut it up for the freezer. How do you butcher a moose, elk or anything that big?

8. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Congrats on a great bull and thank's for the story! that was a great read.:tu

9. dallen

The first thing you do when you walk up to it think to yourself.....what the heck did I just do?????

Then you get on with the work. I dont usually gut them the way you do deer, we skin them from the back down and take everything off that side, then you can get them rolled onto the other side and do it all over again. The last thing I do is go through the sides to pick out the tenderloins and your all done. Takes me about 3 hours, and never gets easier. Loading on the horses is pretty easy, as long as they stand in one spot. This year, we were on a pretty steep hillside, which made things a bit easier for me, but not for the horses.

Moose are just plain big, and a whole lot of work. Makes a guy miss deer...

10. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

Same thing I do...except the horses part! For those of us that are horse-challenged, you put a quarter on your back while sitting on the ground, roll over to your knees, then stand up. The front quarters are relatively easy (light) compared to the hind quarters.

I got my first bull (62") about a mile from my plane. After that, if they're not within a couple hundred yards, forget it...unless we're on ATV's.

As for butchering....I used to do that myself too. Now I take it to Delta for processing. You really do get smarter with age...or maybe it's lazier :tu