2010 moose season pics

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by dallen, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Smarter.......at least thats what I keep telling myself.

The thought process now goes like this.....hmm, theres a nice bull, sort of in a bad spot..... naw, not gonna shoot him there......maybe we can get him farther down the hill in a better spot....

We watched the bull I eventually shot for two days prior to shooting him, and ruled it out. It was easily doable (the shooting him part), but I didn't feel like working that hard to get him out (or killing a horse). He came down below my "cutoff" point, so he got shot. Still, lots of work. See, smarter......

2. Grand Passage

Grand Passage Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing. Is it going on the wall? The one pic looks like you're caping it out. For anyone who wants a major rush, you need to try moose hunting. There's nothing like calling and having a 1500+ lb animal ripping up the brush as it gets within 40-50 yds.

3. H20OTTER

H20OTTER Elite Refuge Member

Still on my to do list. Nice bull and congrats. Have you ever shot one in the water?

4. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

No, the antlers join the others hanging up in the rafters in the barn. Someday I'm going to to something with all those.......

Calling them in is a lot of fun. Different than elk (they seem to come in way more ****ed). The difference with moose is, when they are in, they dont seem to care that your arent a moose, and sometimes just keep coming. We had two in at less than 12 yards. Even the small ones are really big at 12 yards...

Yes, well I didn't, but had a buddy that did. The conversation went something like this.....He's legal....but dont shoot him yet, he doesn't care that we're here.....Naw, I can shoot him in the lungs and he'll run to shore and die.....dont shoot him in the water....BOOM...spine shot and drops solid in 3.5 feet of water. It was a looooooong cold night. Started at about 7p and didn't get back to camp till almost 4am...cold and wet. He'll never do that again.

5. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

I actually had one get within 4-5 feet. I was on one side of a willow bush and he was on the other; and I was standing there shaking in my boots with a bow in my hand. He came in to do one of 2 things...they both begin with F, and I didn't want anything to do with either :eek:

His antlers are on my wall.