2011 Duramax 6.6 exhaust problems

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Coldfronts, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

Any help or insight you can help with is appreciated,

Last week I left for a yearly hunting trip to Canada. On our way my truck had a code which read bad exhaust fluid (code DID NOT read service diesel exhaust system). We were almost to the border so we continued on our trek thinking the issue would take care of itself. As we got with in an hour of our first nights rest a code came up that read your truck will be limited to 55mph on next restart. We figured this is alright as we could "limp" in to the town we were hunting at. At this point we had over a half a tank of gas and 240 miles to destination. After 2 hours of driving in limp mode another code showed up saying on next tank refill the truck will be limited to 4mph. This was not a problem either as we made it to our destination and dropped the truck off for service.
    Here is where things get tricky,
    After talking with the dealship I was told it should not be a problem to get the truck fixed and ready for our departure date 5 days from the day we dropped it off. It was made very clear if they could not fix it (small dealership) that it needed to be towed to a larger town with a Diesel mechanic on staff to look at it.
    Day 1, First problem, They found a recall on the exhaust line from the tank to where it sprays into the outcoming exhaust.
    After this I was told beings they had to fill with diesel the truck was limited to 4mph. They then Regeneration and nothing doing.
    Day 2, Second problem, and on day 2 I was told they found a code that read bad glow plug and it was replaced in hopes of getting truck out of 4mph limp mode. Regeneration and nothing doing
    Day 3, I am told they cannot get the truck out of 4mph after replacements they have made.
    Question 1,how can they get codes IF the truck is in 4mph and not giving codes?
    Day 3 still and they make a call to Detroit and talk with support. First thing they ask is what is the DEF fluid rating?
    Question, should this have been checked first due to thats what the code was reading on dashboard?
    Still day 3, I stop and talk with service manager and he states that Detroit support is closed and will have too call back in the morning.
    Day 4, I should have said they had tried regenerations everyday almost every hour trying to get truck out of 4mph mode. After measuring the def fluid I am told my DEF in the truck is .1 under the reccomended DEF to be used. I was told the DEF they had on the shelf at their store read .4 under the reccomended use. After a few more times of regeneration tries I was told we need to get DEF fluid that is in reccomended level before they can proceed. I went to a John Deere store 40 miles away and picked up some of their DEF and the chevy dealership said that was bad to and that their tester must be bad.
    Mind you this is day 4 and I am leaving on day 5.
    Day 5, At 8am I walk in to see what they have found as our group was leaving for home at 10am. I am told the tech is gone working on another truck and he would be back shortly to start working on my truck. I return at 10am. I am told they are on step 3 of a 20 step process before they can figure out the problem and get the truck out of 4mph mode so they can see the code as to what is wrong. At this point I am beyond fuming. I gave a couple choice words and left with my group headed back to Iowa. (I would have stayed and waitied for the fix except beings it was a holiday weekend in Canada I would have been waiting 4 days beofre I could see if it could be or would be fixed to bring back home.)
    Today I called the dealership, I was told they ordered a part that heats the DEF fluid up to see if that would fix it.
    Question, beings all codes are locked out how do they know what part to change?
    Question, who should be responsible for these parts that are installed that a (supposed) code came up for EVEN THOUGH I am told they cannot recieve any codes.
    Please give me any feed back or help anybody may have as I am searching for answers here.
    The truck is 2011 Chevy 6.6 Diesel with 150,000 miles on it.
    I would be happy to pay if I got service I think I should have recieved. As I sit here 2300 miles away wondering how in the world I am going to get my truck back with out buying a plane ticket and then driving a truck home that I have ZERO faith in sounds like a crap shoot.

Brody

2. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

It sounds like your only option is to negotiate the current bill that is outstanding with this dealership, have your truck towed to a different dealership, and make arrangements to have the truck delivered to Iowa once it's fixed. Hopefully, the first dealership will man-up and make shipping arrangements.

3. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

Should have bought a Ford......LOL

Tough to determine problems when no codes come up. Kind of a crap shoot they usually jst start replacing parts.

I would probably get it towed to a bigger dealerships with a certified diesel mechanic.

More importantly how was the hunting?

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Can you report it as stolen and get a new one from your insurance carrier?

Gonna be 'spensive to get this one back home...

5. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

This^^^

You cannot be serious!!!!! A Furd diesel?????:scratch:z:reader

6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

There are worse things than being trapped in duck country.

I broke down in Tonapah, NV once.

7. easternshorerednek

easternshorerednek Elite Refuge Member

Buy a programmer, delete your DPF, straight pipe your exhaust, and remove your urea injection system completely. I did all of this on my 2012 duramax when it was brand new and it runs great. Even picked up 2-4mpg. Also I can reset my own codes with my H&S tuner so no need to take it to a dealer for that.

I did just have my cylinder 2 glow plug quit working and the dealer replaced it under my 100,000 mile warrenty. This has been a great truck and has cost me $0 in repairs. It has 60,000 miles. By that point my ford had cost me thousands.

8. marsh fox

marsh fox Banned

Ring this number. 1-800-222-1020

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Good on ya MF.

10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Procrastination Karma. :doh