2011 Duramax 6.6 exhaust problems

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Coldfronts, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

Clearing the codes should have got you out of limp mode .....I would have took the truck somewhere else ,after knowing they didnt have a diesel tech
    And the first thing i wouldn have done was check the urea level and check bulletins on SI which is gm's website (them not you personally ) Hate that happened to you ,,,,But they did say they were small and didnt have a competent technician

2. kdog

kdog Elite Refuge Member

In reality they shouldnt have worked on it at all ,,,,If they didnt have a qualified diesel tech on staff (if it was under warranty )They would not have been reinbursed from gm for the repairs

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Canadians are nice. Hopefully they will just say 'sorry' and not charge you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Did you sign a service agreement when you left her at the shop?

You are at a pretty bad disadvantage being 2300 miles from your rig and in another country.

Might be that you are headed back up for a few days with a car trailer...i don't think I'd want to eff around too much more with a new shop that is only 2200 miles away...

Find a way to get her home.

4. Circle Hook

Circle Hook Senior Refuge Member

the NoX sensor is bad, have them replace that and it will be fixed.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Emissions crap is a pita.

6. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Water in the fuel filter can put it into limp mode and send some bad codes. I've had it happen to me and 2 friends to them. Just asking when was the last time you changed the filter.

http://www.dieselplace.com

This site might be of help.

7. Coldfronts

Coldfronts Senior Refuge Member

DD1, Hunting was OK. We had 2 of the best mallard hunts I have been a part of in the field. Had 2 decent snow shoots. The other couple hunts were 10-20 bird shoots. Lots of birds in the area as far as snows but they were roosted on 3 major areas as opposed to other years where the same amount of birds were there they were roosted on 30-40 areas. Trading birds is the name of the game with snow goose hunting.

Easternshorerednek, Just about had this done. 20/20 hindsight wish i would have and spent the $2300.00 to have it done.

Marshfox, I had this recall done 3 years ago. No problems before or after it was done until now.

Kdog, They cleared all codes and it didn't come out of the funk. To be clear the Mechanic on duty was a "apprentice" The Master Diesel Mechanic was gone hunting dux all week. He returned to work yesterday. I expect I will have an answer today. Fingers crossed....

Spaight, Spot on bro. All I want is to get it home at this point. For me to go get it I am looking at some serious money. I may just have to stay and hunt a few days while back..

Circle Hook, I asked to have both NOX sensors changed and was told if they put them in I would have to buy them at 500 bucks I wasn't willing to have a crap shoot and guess. Not knowing if it would work or not was not an option. I wanted a concrete answer as driving back the 2300 miles and it breaking down again was the real problem with changing parts.

badhabit, Changed the filter a month ago. I wanted to have some miles on it before we left. I appreciate your answer and will pass that along when I talk with them today.

On a side note, I talked with our local Chevy dealership and they are looking at shipping options for me as well.

Thanks again guys!

8. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Straight pipe and EPA garbage delete kit?

9. dbl bbl

dbl bbl Senior Refuge Member

Same thing happened to one of my 2011 Duramax's. There was a bad DEF level sensor, they changed it and all seemed to work fine.....for about 200miles. It went to the 55MPH limp mode. The dealer that fixed it sent a rollback 200 miles with a brand new 2014 Chevy for my guy to drive on a Friday night. They forgot to reset the codes and "tell" the truck it had a new sensor. Works fine now. Dealer told me this was somewhat common on these models.

On a brighter note, we have several Duramax rigs in our fleet. We have a total of about 800,000 miles and approximately $10,000 in repairs. They are excellent rigs.

10. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

Bump, what was wrong with your truck and how did they fix it?