2014-2015 hunting report

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Oct 21, 2014.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully! Got permission on a field right in their flight path a half mile away from the roost. Going to call landowner this evening to try and get on the x. I'll admit, I haven't been this excited to hunt snows this entire spring season.

2. Ringneck Rick

Ringneck Rick Refuge Member

Or a jake. I have hunted some mature toms that were intimidated by the strutter but never the jake. But find an aggressive tom and once he locks on the strutter or fan, it's about to get serious. :flame

3. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Saw 3 flocks over lincoln today, very high and probably very dirty.

4. nebgoosehunter

Went at it solo for one last hunt of the season. I was able to get on the x from the night before. Birds didn't come from the roost I was expecting and most came from unknown locations. Heard quite a few moving around in the dark when I pulled up to the field so I wonder if the roost got spooked. Only saw about 5 or so flocks in the first half hour and had one bird on the ground so I started getting worried. It was dead for about another 15 minutes and then it was steady birds moving up and down the river until things shut off for good around 830. Even had several flocks of migrators come from the southwest. The migrators definitely worked better than the local staged birds. Got into one good spin of about 300-400 that came right down. They were a little spread out though and I only got 3 with 4 shots. Shot pretty decent on some flocks but terrible on a few others. That's how it goes hunting solo sometimes. Finished with 15 and lost 2 more cripples that I just couldn't get to. Could have easily been 50-60 with 4 guns. Great way to end the season for sure! I would be really surprised to see any stick around with the heat coming up.
    [​IMG]

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

great solo outing!

6. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Scattered small bunches all quiet lonely and depressed...can't wait for the morn!!

7. jkern

Story of the weekend...shoulda been setup Friday, shoulda picked the spread up Saturday afternoon, and shoulda slept in this morning. The dog caught the only white goose seen today.

8. nebgoosehunter

I got a buddy still sticking it out on some juvy pockets. He killed 43 two evenings ago. There are enough around still that they are tempting me.

9. jkern

I threw in the towel after Sunday, until a Juvy roost was found. I hope they leave before the weekend. Lol

10. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Don't throw in the towel! Still birds being shot and to be shot at!