2014-2015 hunting report

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

It's about that time to shift gears and start shooting bigheads.

2. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

Got an archery bird last weekend. Pretty cool to have the girlfriend along. She came 2 weeks before and saw an awesome show of 2 gobbling toms going haywire over the calls and strutting from 200 yards into 40. They were wary though and didn't present a close shot. Well oddly the bird that I thought was smaller (due to beard size and not being the dominant strutter) pushed the larger (IMO) bird out and was the lone tom in the area last weekend.

We hadn't heard or seen anything for awhile and roost time was quickly approaching. I had just given her the speech about "how sometimes you just get skunked and that's what makes hunting - hunting" but I decided to give one last ditch call out. Thought I heard a faint gobble but it was really far away and I wasn't entirely sure so I gave it a few moments and called again. Sure as crud that bird musta ran as fast as it could because it had to have cut the distance by about 3/4s. He was gobbling at every call and coming in nicely, after about 2 mins I see him strutting along the hill in the field behind us, pretty cool to see him puffed up on the hilltop like that.

Once he saw the strutter decoy he went full on crazy, got down to our field edge and charged it. I took some video (below) of some of the attack and the first shot. I get an ok hit on him, and he bows up hard but finds his legs and I didn't want to lose yet another archery turkey so I knew I had to nock another arrow. He power walks away but gives me a nice quartering shot at about 20-25 yards and I let er' rip. Solid thump and the bird jumped up and fell dead.

An overall awesome experience and I am happy that I got to share it with the gf, who is new to this whole hunting thing/lifestyle. She is solidly hooked and excited to hopefully :pra shoot a bird on shotgun opener (once we get this whole apprentice license thing figured out).

9" beard 1' spurs. Looking forward to finding the big boy in the coming weeks. Might even let her shoot it. :p

video
    http://vid977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/wastinshells/IMG_4854_zpsbengwz4m.mp4

3. jkern

The kid got a nice 3-4year old on public last weekend. Had to standup in the blind and shoot down at the bird cause it was brushing against the blind. :l

I'm taking my youngest to desoto spur shopping this weekend.

4. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

Howd it go Kern? Wind was tough on me, though I did get on a new spot with a boat load of strutters.

5. jkern

Saturday was tough!! I didn't bring the double bull and toms were coming in completely silent all day. They wanted to stay in the nasty cover and couldn't be seen until they were under 20yds. They always seemed to know what way we were hoping they would sneak in from cause they always came in behind us, another was strutting behind a brush pile at 15yards and we didn't know he was there til Keagan stood up to pee. :l

Sunday I took the blind and he killed a 2yr old at 10:00 that snuck in with 2 hens. That young 2yr old was a scrapper, 1 spur was freshly busted off from fighting and had over a dozen deep spur marks all over his body.

Alot of birds out there but hunting out there several years now and talking with others that had the same deal over the years. Even the old toms shy off jake decoys and rarely will they gobble when coming in so you always hafta be on high alert.

6. jkern

Most goslings that I have ever seen in this area by far!!

7. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Had a great trip down to Southwest Nebraska this week. My buddy Brian definitely put me and one of his buddies on the birds. Wednesday evening found us out in the middle of no where in an area that didn't seem like turkey country. Unfortunately we got ran out of the field early due to storms. We were set up at one of their two roosts and we thought it was going to be pretty good but it looked real bad coming in and with no cell service we couldn't check the radar. After the storm passed we went back and glassed the area to not find the birds anywhere. We went over to another potential spot to roost birds as the sun was going down but only heard one bird and didn't know for sure if he was on the property we could hunt. So the next morning we went to a spot that he has had good luck on this season. The birds were roosted in high transmission line towers, something I've never seen before but we were able to set up within about 100 yards without them getting spooky. Everything but one tom and one hen pitched down onto the county road behind us. The remaining tom and hen pitched down into the grass on our side of the fence and worked to us. I was going to shoot the first tom that was pecking at the jake decoy, but all of a sudden we heard wings dragging on gravel and one of the other toms from the road crossed the fence right next to us. I turned to shoot this bird at about 8 yards and Brian's other buddy was able to shoot the other tom. Things couldn't have worked out better and I'm glad to have been able to harvest a bird this year, even if it was really late.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Nice. That eastern looks like a big boy.

9. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

Nice birds Tyler! Congrats

10. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Congrats Tyler! Glad to see it came together for you. Better late than never.