2015-2016 Nebraksa waterfowl

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

The kids went to my old stomping grounds today. Scouting mission for the next 3 days of decoying went "haywire", also got a band. Sounds like they have a promising spot lined up.

Jon g, mini tried calling you since his in town and he hasn't seen ya in ages. Look him up at the "budget host".

2. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Kid didn't have school, and I couldnt resist the forecast so work didn't happen, rwb was hoppin, glad we only shot 21, forgot what it was like packin decoys and birds out on rotten ice

3. jkern

Goofy kids...

Warned them 5-10 times before they even left, not to mention mini should know better. Don't be swayed by "all those chickens".

Don't think they broke 20 birds today. Had they been 2 miles south or 4+ east, the probably woulda tripled.

4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Went and set the decoys solo for a morning hunt on Saturday. Called about 15 people but couldn't get anyone to go. Only saw about 1000 birds and 90% came off the roost and gave me the middle finger as they flew on by. Could have taken a shot at a pair of blues that dropped down but waited too long. Only little flocks came by after that and I was able to decoy and take 3 single adults. Missed some opportunities on a few more but I was happy with the morning considering what I saw and being able to decoy adults.

5. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Worked on the pit yesterday and could not believe the Snow Goose Migration. Thousands of SOB's for several miles Long AND Wide were passing over on their way North. On the way home I saw a similar scene west of Plainview. Casual water from snow melt in corn fields had 2 Huge flocks working in the air above another gigantic mob of Snows on the ground. What a sight.

Murph.

6. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

It definitely something to see. I was in SD on Tuesday from Mitchell to SF's and down to NE border, yesterday Norfolk to Columbus to Omaha and home. Just pulled into Kearney and it has been very hard to keep eyes on the road this week.

7. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

Our pit is somewhere in there... pitbirds.JPG

8. Extrema1

Extrema1 Refuge Member

Steady stream of Whites and Specks heading North today in Eastern NE.

9. jkern

Great birthday party for mini. We are sitting at a even 50, not decoying as well now since the wind got ripping.

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  10. jkern

Got to the spread about 11, stayed til 3, was alittle underdressed for the weather change.

Was one of those days that I get caught up in the "show", and not call it when I should. Not a lot of birds, but a flock every 15-20min getting down and jiggy with it. Either way, fun short hunt with the kid, add another 15 birds had my head not been in the clouds. Lol