2015-2016 Nebraksa waterfowl

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by NeLab1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Ringneck Rick

Ringneck Rick Refuge Member

Anybody huntin em around that new lake west of Omaha? Got access to a bunch of fields just north of that lake and want to get the kids out this weekend, if for nothing else to teach em about how many jets there really are in the sky at one time.

spaightlabs likes this.
  2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Hunted solo this morning. Shot 6, all juvies. Has to be peak numbers for us out here. Did see a lot of juvies in some flocks, and virtually none in others. Birds have seemed in no hurry to leave quite yet.

3. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Fun afternoon with the kid until we ran outta bullets. One of those days I shoulda took 20min before the hunt to get more. Apparently the snow in Sd pushed all the greys and Ross back, only had 1 adult snow in the pile.

Attached Files:

4. nebgoosehunter

Nice hunt Josh! I'm looking forward to this coming Saturday. Going to be hunting a pasture pond for migrators with also a good chance at some locally staged birds. It hasn't been full of water since 2013 due to water rights down stream but she is full now. 15-20 mph south winds and 66 degrees should bring the migrators. I'll have a guy with me that has never hunted in his life so I'm hoping for a good show at the very least.

5. nebgoosehunter

The wind was really tough to work with today as we were hunting out of a blind that would have been better suited for a W wind or even SW. Wind started out this morning out of the east and had several work us well within shooting range but we either didn't see them in time or they slid over the edge of the dekes and not over us. Wind switched to the S and we got several good migrator flocks to give us a real good look but the wind was constant over 30 and as soon as they got below 100 yards I think they noticed the death thrash in the socks and bugged out. Botched a couple small groups in the wind as we were waiting for the big groups. Ended up with only 3. Didn't see more than 2k I bet.

6. jkern

Love conditions like today.

Attached Files:

7. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Nice smash Josh and mini Josh and other son.

8. jkern

Had a fun little shoot this morning before the heat shut the flight down, quit at 12:30. Man there's ALOT of Ross this year!!!

9. jkern

Saw less than 400 geese today, left at noon. I think I'm bout to pull the plug and chalk this spring season as a win. I normally don't even start hunting until now. Lol

10. jkern

Don't think we saw over 50 geese today. Burnt some bullets and added my first snow goose band in like 10 years, about damn time!!!