2015 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Update

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Hugatree, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

Received on 8/25/2015.

'Has 58,847 miles on it.

'Has the same set of brakes on it I would be very close to putting my second set on the F150's I ran for the prior 15 years.

If it weren't for the nail I picked up on one, I would be on the same set of tires. I would be very close to putting my second set of tires on the F150's I ran for the prior 15 years.

I favor the Ford V8 in terms of power over the GM active valve management V8.

I favor the GM transmission over the Ford ---- much smoother.

The gas mileage on the Chevy is much better averaging 21 mpg on the highway.

No problems whatsoever with the Chevy.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how it compares to the Ford but the GM transmission seems to have 50-11 gears and is always shifting for me. I like my truck but wish it would shift less, shift from gear to gear and 4 to 8 cylinder. Sometimes it is a smooth transition, sometimes I feel it.

Trailer mode is the worst. For whatever reason it hangs around in 4 cylinder mode too much for my liking. I would think with a trailer it would shut off the option to go to 4 cylinder and stay 8 all the time.

3. Hugatree

Hugatree Elite Refuge Member

I'm going back to the F150 in spite of their appetite for brakes and tires. I like the way they handle and I don't care for that active valve management engine. For a work truck, it does well. For torque I like the Ford.

4. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Hear tell them AFM Chevy's like using oil at about 100K, other stuff too. You couldn't give me one of them,plus in 4cyl mode they sound like *** with straight pipes.

Hugatree likes this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yea the lifters are garbage. It's easy to convert one to full time V8- new lifters, new cam, possibly new push rods, and the rest is just tuning out the AFM in the computer. New injectors might also be required, can't remember. AFM is junk but it's a solid, reliable truck without it.

Hugatree likes this.
  6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

So... Pretty much swap out the engine, and you've got yourself one solid truck? Sweet! Where do I drop my $40K? :l :nutz

Hugatree likes this.
  7. TheDuckSlayer

It's a few top end components dude. About a 12-pack worth of work for a semi competent grease monkey such as myself.

Hugatree likes this.
  8. stevena198301

I know... I was just busting on you a little bit. But dropping another grand on parts to make your truck function "correctly" (I use that term because I don't think GM got AFM right), is insane, especially on a truck still under warranty. Reflashing the computer voids your warranty. That grand doesn't include the injectors. Looks like there are modules you can plug into the OBD-II port that negate all that part swapping for around $200, and just keep it in V8 mode, but some folks say they see odd things happen when using them (as well as the truck not wanting to crank on occasion). You could buy many a more 30-packs with that grand. :tu

9. TheDuckSlayer

No way in hell I'd tune the stock motor to stay in V8 mode all the time. The lifters are the weak point, and there's no way to tune out the profile that is physically ground into the cam lobes. That just sounds like a micky mouse band aid to put on a turd. Also, the parts are only cost a G if you buy all brand new crap, and no self respecting redneck does that. So here's the break down-
    1.Camshaft- you could go ultra cheap and pull from junkyard, but personally I'd buy used aftermarket. There's a bazillion of them in the classifieds on the truck sites. Cost = about 100 bones.
    2.Lifters- brand new aftermarket lifters = about 120 bones. Cheap insurance, don't buy used lifters.
    3.Pushrods- may be necessary depending on the profile of the new cam, so we'll factor it in for the sake of argument. New pushrods = 100 bones. Cheap insurance, don't buy used pushrods.
    4. Tune- ok, this is the most critical part of this mod. There are truck nerds who have made a science of tuning, and they have the software and knowledge to do it correctly. I do not, so I will pay a reputable pro to do it correctly. Cost = about 200 bones.
    5. Injectors - I can't remember if these are even necessary, but if so I'm gonna get these at a junkyard. They don't really wear out or break, worst case they may need cleaning. Cost = less than 100 bones.

As you can see, I can do this mod for about 600 bucks MAX. Then I got a great GM motor minus all that AFM garbage, with a little extra performance from a cam and tune to boot. I don't give a rats azz about warranties. I figure if something breaks I can fix it, and if it's beyond my ability then it was a POS I needed to be rid of anyway. I like to modify and have fun with my trucks, not drive like grandma and worry about when the warranty is up.

Now you may ask, why would a man do all that work when he can just buy a ford with the proven 5.0? This is a legitimate question, and the answer is simply that some of us are just die hard, bow tie til I die, Chevy fans. If GM lets us down and gives us a crap engine, we will fix it and make it good. Pee Paw raced Vettes back in the 60s and 70s until he quit because he got tired of winning every race. I can't help it, it's in my blood. Pee Paw would roll in his grave if he knew I was driving a Ford or Dodge, or even worse, an import.

10. stevena198301

Points taken, but still not agreed with. We can agree to disagree, I'm OK with that. :tu

I used to piddle with engines before the computer age stuff. So much easier...

And no, buying a Ford AIN'T a legitimate question. :nutz

Your grandfather may not agree with buying an "import", but my "import" Tundra has a lot of roots in the US these days, and employs quite a few good folks in our neck of the woods, as well as other places in the US. My truck just rolled 237K this weekend, and the only thing I have had to do is change the oil and put a new battery on it (the 84 month battery just died at 106 months). It doesn't leak, smoke, use oil, or anything else. My goal is a clean million, but I doubt I make it, as hard as I am on a vehicle.

My dad and grandfather were also blow-hard BowTie guys, and I used to be also. Then I got a Toyota when I was 17. A 1983 hardbody with a little extra "feature"... A 350 SBC with a 4BBL and headers. Man, that was a fun little truck til I jumped a ditch in it...Tire blew out, and it went sideways into the ditch, as far as I recall. The concussion it left me with still leaves my memory a little fuzzy on the details of the event. :l

Dad now has a little Toyota P/U that he drives to his work 3 miles away. Says he fills it up once a month.