2015 Ford F-150 Buyers-2.7 Ecoboost

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by fireduck, May 1, 2015.

1. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

Any buyers of the 2015 Ford F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost with the aluminum body? Looking at a XLT or maybe Lariat 4x4. I have not seen much news on the new Ford Trucks. Won't be towing much, mainly my duck hunting boat. I hope Ford still has some good incentives to buy- 2016 trucks won't be far away. Thanks for any help! Kenny

2. PutUmDown870

PutUmDown870 Senior Refuge Member

The Eco is a great engine. My buddy has a 2013 and we took it 4 hours up to deer camp this year. Very impressive. Quiet and plenty of power. I took the truck last week to pick up my new boat and again it towed great and pretty decent mileage. I have an F150 King Ranch with the 5.4 in it and if I were getting a new truck I would go with the Eco. As for incentives they are listed on Ford's website. Incentives and rebates are regional so check your specific area code. Best of luck.
    Side note, as with any turbo engine I would recommend (even if they tell you it makes no difference) running at least mid grade 89 octane or premium fuel. It does make a difference in longevity of the engine and performance.

3. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'd have to see some serious data from the manufacturer that would recommend using higher test gas than what they designed the engine for. Total waste of money otherwise.

The EcoBoost is wonderful for towing and general use and the military grade aluminum body has been proven to be very impressive in the sledge hammer test....way stronger than the previous steel bodies. Which is way the insurance industry will be lowering the rates on these trucks. Look for the other truck makers to catch up before long.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I have wondered for years why forced induction isn't more common from the factory.

5. PutUmDown870

PutUmDown870 Senior Refuge Member

Avian, not arguing with you but I am in the car business and my brand had a model with turbos. Those who used mid grade fuel or higher had nearly zero issues, those who used regular only had issues constantly. The "health" of turbo equipped vehicles we trade is directly linked to the grade of fuel the owner used. It isn't an issue with diesel vehicles but there is a noticeable difference in the gas vehicles equipped with turbos. Again I could be wrong and to each his own but it's just what I have observed over the years.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Agree. Think it has something to do with the (more) excess heat from lower grade gasoline. Wears the turbos faster.

7. stevena198301

I rented a 2013 EcoBoost in 2013. I didn't mind it. What Ford has got going is the Sync system. I rented a Dodge 1500 last year, and its connection system was pitiful compared to Sync. F-150 was an all-around better vehicle than the 1500. But neither hold a candle to my Tundra. :cool: It may be a 2008, but I love it. :yes

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Except the Tundra is absolutely ugly and goofy looking. They are by far the ugliest truck on the road.

9. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Tiny engine + full size pickup = I'm skeptical.

10. stevena198301

You're the ugliest one on the road. :nutz :l