2015 Ford F-150 Buyers-2.7 Ecoboost

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by fireduck, May 1, 2015.

1. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Make it 3 in a row.
    I have a 150 and the wife drives and Outback.

2. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

I wish the Outback had a little more headroom, but it gets an honest 30 mpg on the interstate. Our driveway has a steep entry that iced over this winter, making it slick as snot to drive up and down. The truck handled it in four wheel drive with no problem. Then the OL showed up in her car.

For the uninitiated, the AWD system in a Subaru senses wheel slip and applies the brake to that tire- stopping the slippage and transferring power to tires with more grip.

So, she pulls up to the driveway, the front tires predictably slip, then there was a slight chirp, and the car started rolling again as power was transferred primarily to the rear wheels. When the rear wheels started on the incline and started to slip, power was transferred up front and away she went.

It was the damndest thing I've seen in some time and gave me a lot more faith in the entire deal. It has great ground clearance as well, so I wouldn't hesitate to take it on the partially improved logging roads (4x4 recommended, no lift required) that we use to access trout.

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like the same system used on the FJ Cruisers. Think they call it A-TRAC, if I remember correctly. My FJ got unbelievable traction, but it made some weird rackets in the cab with the brakes "bumping" on/off. Something to get used to.

4. num70

Yeah. I'm 6'7" and find myself reclining the seat to get better headroom. But it does have good legroom. I have orangutan arms so I can still comfortably reach the wheel with the seat somewhat reclined. Doesn't bother me much.

The AWD, coupled with good tires is absolutely unstoppable in the winter.
    When the chips are down for bad driving, and the snows are on the Subie, I will take that over the truck any day. It's my second Subie and as long as they don;t do anything stupid, I picture us driving them for a long time.

5. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I know it's a tangent but you guys with the Subarus......one is likely in our not too distant future. I want to get away from the 16mpg my wife's Yukon gets. I like a lot about the Outbacks and Foresters but am having trouble deciding between the two and am admittedly hesitant dropping that much in size.....I see the new Cherokees are supposedly 30mpg also but think I prefer the Subarus.

Do either of you have any input on comparing the Outback to the Forester and/or any comment on driver height/visibility etc (as mentioned, the size/height drop etc does bother me a bit). I know they rate well safety-wise but getting whacked in one of those vs her current Tahoe is still quite a change and concerns me. Thanks for any input.

As for this thread, nothing to offer except I've always marveled at how some seem determined to buy half the truck they need and then either champion its invented exploits or cuss its shortcomings.:l

6. num70

First was a Forester. Second an Outback. Different cars.

Forester seemed a little more "utilitarian". Mine felt just a tiny bit under-powered. But nice, easy access to the backseat. Trunk room was good.

Outback feels like more of a "finished" car. Plenty of power, more of a wagon but with enough room for 2 kids and dog. (We take the Outback on vacation). More leg room in the Outback (more head room in the Forester.).

Overall, i think the difference in price between the two is about accurate in relation to the differences in the cars. But would not hesitate to buy either tomorrow.

7. okie drake

The drive height change from her current vehicle to either (they seem to be pretty close to each other both in ground clearance and ride height even though the Forester is much more 'SUV' as referred to above) would be pretty comparable to yours from the F150. Do you have any complaints on that front? Visibility etc....

8. num70

Not at all.
    I thought I might but what I failed to realize (having driven so many Ford pickups in a row now) is that they have some real visibility issues of their own. The Supercrew (which my last 4 have been) have a nasty blind spot due to the reinforcement post.

I actually feel like the visibility is good in the Outback. But Forester was a little better. If I had one gripe, i would have made the exterior rearview mirrors a little bigger. They feel like you're looking into a small porthole.

9. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

Same goes for us. The Outback was more car-like and less utility vehicle-like and the OL liked the Outback more. The LCD/Touch screen is pretty decent. Steering wheel controls are a little clumsy in comparison to my F150.

There is plenty of room in the backseat in the Outback. We had a total of five adults in it over the weekend and everyone was comfortable enough.

One thing about Subarus that is a little different is the transmission. It's a different type that uses bands rather than gears. Anyway, there are times where it feels like the car is winding up. It's a different feeling. It's not a bad feeling necessarily. I'll just leave it at that.

10. okie drake

Thanks for the input. I feel safer with her and the boy in the larger vehicle and visibility/height remains a concern but it sounds like such is manageable with either choice. Mileage will all but double so that's a major plus.