2015 Multi-State Trip

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Sep 27, 2015.

1. morduks

morduks Elite Refuge Member

Nice Gene. If there is a hunting trip via truck equivalent to the motorcycle Iron Butt award, you would get it!

Tom B.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Today was a much, much slower day. I would appear that the majority of the birds we saw the first day here have decided to move to another location. The ones that did stick around seemed to like the middle of the river instead of the edge. Last night, when we went to bed, it was clear and cold, and this morning we opened the door to 2 inches of new snow and more coming down. The weather was similar to the first day of hunting here, but without the numbers of birds the end of the day was quite a bit different. I did manage to bring home 3 mallards, so at least there was no skunking going on. Days like this are what keeps you from thinking you're better than you really are I suppose. No big deal. Tomorrow will be the last hunt day of my trip, and we're going to try and get some geese in the fields. At least that way I won't have to worry about putting on frozen waders in the morning because I forgot to bring them in. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day for honker hunting.

[​IMG]

3. Mean Gene

And as is always the case, all good things must come to an end. Today was the last hunting day of my trip. Although it didn't go according to plan, it really doesn't matter. My overall objectives were met many times over during the course of this adventure, and having one day not turn out the way we had lined it out is really meaningless in the overall scheme of things. I left home on September 25th, not really having any idea where it would all lead. I spent almost 2 months on the road, drove nearly 6000 miles, hunted in 7 states, met a LOT of really, really good people, and saw a great many things I didn't even know existed. My decoy, Mrs. Susie, was in the water numerous times, and helped to lure in many unsuspecting friends, so it's fitting that she has a prominent place in what will be the last picture posted. Many, many thanks to all those who helped make this trip of a lifetime a most enjoyable one. At no time was I ever treated as less than a family member, and I am most grateful for that. So, tonight, as I sit here in my hotel room in Spokane, I salute all those whom I encountered along the way. I'll post a more thorough report later, but tonight I'm tired and I'm just going to relax. I hope those who followed along enjoyed the ride. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

StuDog44 and letmwurk like this.
  4. Mean Gene

I actually didn't kill those two "real" ducks in the corner down there, but they're a reminder to me that I am indeed headed back to the reality of the NorCal "mixed bag". :l

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Good stuff Gene! Enjoyed the history as well as the good hunts. Felt a bit nostalgic, almost Rockwell like.

6. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Gene,
    You're badass!!!

7. Mean Gene

No, right now I'm dragging ***. :dv:tu

8. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

Awesome trip Gene. I've enjoyed the stories. It looks like it was a success to me.

riverrat47 likes this.
  9. Mean Gene

It was indeed. :tu:tu

10. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Well I just spent over an hour reading and looking at all the photos on this thread. Gene as you had mentioned, it is the people and unexpected things that make any trip memorable and you had a quite a memorable trip indeed. I hope that your knee is all better. Thanks for taking the time to post up on your adventures.