2016-2017 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Sep 6, 2016.

1. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

It's about a 40 min drive for me, sure disappointing though, nothin like it was 30 or more yrs ago

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

The area reservoirs seem to be pretty empty but the one just across the border are holding good numbers still. Gonna do a little scout tomorrow evening in one area and if birds are sparse I'll be hunting my pasture pond for migrators on Saturday. Don't really know what to expect. We should be near peak numbers right now but this is two years in a row things are past peak by the first of March. Hope the juvies play Saturday.

ajj16 and Neck Collar like this.
  3. nebgoosehunter

Zero wind was a killer for us Saturday. Been windy almost every day for the last couple weeks and of course the day I set a spread no wind. Saw countless flocks of migrators but none would even take a look. Starting around 11 the migrators must have been getting thirsty because we started to get some lookers but as soon as they saw the sillosocks looking lifeless they kept on going. Finished with two is all. Tough tough day!

4. nebgoosehunter

A stroke of luck seemed to have found me this morning. Did a quick hunt before work and was able to shoot 13 birds with two being banded. One was banded 8/6/14 near Cambridge Bay, Nunavut and the other was banded 7/15/15 near Sachs Harbour, NW Territories. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket. :)
    [​IMG]

5. bs2327

bs2327 New Member

That's awesome, nice work.

6. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

That is a beautiful eagle head. Mature birds too, still so many down south.

7. nebgoosehunter

We did ok on Saturday shooting 11. Just from Thursday to Saturday there was a noticeable increase in juvies. Pretty good migration from 1030 to 12, which was surprising considering the weather. It is going to be pushing 80 here this weekend so we will be drawing near to the end. I can't go this weekend so I will either need to go before work this week or hopefully find some birds after next weekend.

8. nebgoosehunter

I gave it one last go yesterday morning. Was hoping to see a couple flocks of mid day migrators but didn't see one white goose. Enjoyed the morning though watching cranes, and watching eight species of ducks at one time in the water in front of my blind. Even saw a cinnamon teal pair. Was still a fun morning relaxing by myself.

ajj16 likes this.
  9. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a good time, contrary to popular belief it's not always about numbers

10. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

This is a video we shot this weekend. Some jakes were trying to get it on with some plastic lady's. :flame

Huskers45 and nebgoosehunter like this.