Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2016-2017 Waterfowl Season Dates?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Gander-Commander, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Gander-Commander

Gander-Commander Refuge Member

Does anyone know if the season dates are locked in for the next 5 years or if they will still ask for hunter opinion prior to setting the dates each year? The statement below is off the F & G website.
    (The IDFG conducted a hunter opinion survey in 2016 to assess hunter preferences on how to structure waterfowl seasons within the Federal Framework. This information will be used to guide Idaho waterfowl season proposals for the next five years; 2016-2020.)
    The survey results for Zone 2 came in with a majority wanting an early season start and end due to wetlands freezing up. This resulted in the season opener in 2016 being 2 weeks earlier than in 2015. Maybe a split season with a much later ending date to the season would be the better option. I would like to hear how many others thought the season ended too early in January this year.

2. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

So they asked for input last year, and adjusted accordingly with the early season date, and now they want input again. So is it subject to change every year, or do they kinda already have their minds made up, unless there is some drastic public outcry?
    And what's up with Zone 4 duck/zone 5 Canada/zone 6 snow/zone 5 spec? Just one island of a county that opens a week earlier than all its surrounding counties? Can you say WWIII on 10/7/17!
    I would like to know why they isolated it, especially when a few high-elevation neighboring counties could be added to it.

I'll probably try to get a response from one of their bios by next week, but feel free to enlighten me on these topics...

3. Gander-Commander

Idaho F & G is taking public comments on migratory birds. You can find the link on their home page. Comments are accepted thru March 24.

4. BigBand

BigBand Elite Refuge Member

Thanks - I just heard about this and gave F&G my comments, which were:
    "I support the latest closing date that we can legally get. Our best hunting in the north end of the state is in January."

5. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Last day we had any duck hunting in East Idaho, except I am sure for a few honey holes, but, heard even many of them were froze shut or to deep with snow to get through was December 28. If we go any longer, how short of a season do you want. Yes might get a few more geese which you can have all you want, but lets let the most waterfowler's hunt that we can, keep the 5 year plan in place and open the first Saturday in October for ducks and go the 107 days.

6. Gander-Commander

Ducks
    The proposed season structure for ducks is:
    • Zone 1: October 7, 2017 – January 19, 2018;
      • Scaup: October 7, 2017 –December 29, 2017
    • Zone 2: October 7, 2017 – January 19, 2018;
    • Zone 3: October 14, 2017 – January 26, 2018;
      • Scaup: November 4, 2017 – January 26, 2018
    • Zone 4: October 7, 2017 – January 19, 2018;

Proposed daily bag limit: 7 ducks; but not more than 2 female mallards, 2 redhead, 3 scaup, 1 pintail or 2 canvasback.

2017duckzones.png
    [​IMG]

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

After doing some follow-up on what is being done here by F&G, all that really is being asked for is for comments on the addition of more zones, NOT the season structure. The season structure was locked in last year for 5 years on the season dates. You have to really read the introduction on the F&G website to understand what they are asking for. Good luck. It is to bad that instead of the small zone for Valley county, that we couldn't get the Pan Handle broke out from East Idaho, like many of the waterfowler's asked last year. That would have made a whole lot more sense versus just making Valley County it's own little zone.

8. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

I'm I reading it wrong, or now the Panhandle IS broke out from East Idaho, right? Panhandle is with SW Idaho in starting the 14th. Why not just call Zone 4 Zone 2? Same season structure right; just separated geographically?

I might have wrote it here last year, but in comments I made to IDFG I suggested a "mountain zone" of sorts - not only Valley, but Adams, Idaho, Clearwater, Lewis County. Not that there is much opportunity in those counties, BUT it would alleviate opening weekend pressure in the now Zone 4. If you've ever hunted Zone 4 back when it opened before Zone 3 you know how much of a war zone it can be, now I imagine it will be all that times 5.

I know they must have internal documents about the zone structure rationale, so why not release that info with this comment period? A little transparency please:pra, especially now with fees going up!

9. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

What about fees going up?
    Fees for what?

10. Gander-Commander

I am not sure if they have approved the 20% fee increases for hunting/fishing licenses, tags, and permits. I believe the House passed on the increase back in March. They are allowing a price lock for anyone that continues to purchase these items each year without any increase until 2022. That's all I have read about this so far.