Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2016-2017 Waterfowl Season Dates?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Gander-Commander, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

Being an Old Fudd now I get my license for three years at a time.
    Just got the latest in December for this and the following two years.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Just curious...why is the panhandle in the same zone as southern Idaho? Seems that it would open earlier.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Gene, the Panhandle has up to this point been in a different zone than the Treasure Valley and in the same zone as Southeast Idaho. We have generally started early in October and finished in mid-January. We never have northern birds in October, so all we have is locals, which get smart pretty fast. Then things are often very good with Northern birds, especially geese, still arriving when the season cuts off in mid-January.

There has always been a conflict between the needs of Southwest Idaho, which gets frozen out earlier than both the Panhandle and Southwest Idaho. They want the season to start earlier so that they have more time in the field before freeze-up.

While it can get pretty frozen up here in January there is still enough big water to hunt as well as fields here and there. A later season opening is good news for me and for all the guys I hunt with.

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Got it. I would have figured the birds to be pretty much gone by then. Thanks for the clarification.