Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2016 and Next 5-Year Season Structure

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by DoveMan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

And that's why discussion is good. Waterfowl hunting to me isn't short sleeves and naive juvenile birds in early October. There are always birds in late January also if you take the time to look for them. Mallards, Pintails, Widgeon, even Goldeneyes if that's what you like and better yet they're a challenge to hunt since they've been shot at for 3 months. I had plenty of other hunters around me who also were enjoying the late January migration. I'll bet that goose huntin' machine Salt would've been happy with a later close date in Area 1 with all the geese in the field next to his house. I know for a fact there are far more birds around than most people realize in late January.

2. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

AFU

Its not just about birds being around but also in situations that enable hunters to pursue them. There are more available opportunities for most hunters in October than there ever will be in January. Were you hunting publicly available property in late January? I am betting not.

3. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

Hunted both actually. Hunted public up until Jan 25th until other hunters realized how many birds were around and started hunting everywhere they could. And I have a lot of private I can hunt but that's because I've hunted waterfowl for 36 years in SE Idaho and landowners know me well. If you don't mind me asking and being friendly how long have you been hunting in SE Idaho and in Area 1 and surrounding areas?

4. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Longer than you. :D So I probably need some :z :l:l:l

5. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

It's a humbling experience getting older! I remember the days of having to wait for my son to catch up when walking in to hunt. Now he waits for me........ (not all bad though. Half the time he has the decoys already out!)

6. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

I hate to say it, but you just made my point about a good share of waterfowler's getting older to the point that we can't walk into places any longer, especially late in the season with the ice and snow. Due to many reasons, bad knees, hips, and just plain age and trying to carry our equipment etc. It becomes just plain dangerous for some of us to even try it. And that is more and more the majority of waterfowl hunters I would bet, so why cut out some good hunting time for the older hunter, and give them the time/opportunity to hunt early with a mid January season end such as opening early October with the 2 day split would do.

And again as I said earlier, and I bet IFSteve would agree with this too, let the goose season start as late as you want and go to the last of January for those that get off on shooting honkers. But, I am still willing to bet, not a lot of hunters can get into geese in areas in SE Idaho north of Idaho Falls and even north of Blackfoot from what I have heard from many that hunt in the Blackfoot area. Goose hunters can go for the late season all they want.

And for a time frame on my experience hunting SE Idaho, it too is more than your 36 years :), but who is counting. So we will see what the input to the survey is when it gets posted on the F&G website.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Does zone 3 fro geese need to be rethought?
    Im archery hunting. The guys I talked to didn't do well. However I will say I would have some real sweet spots in most part of 3.

Zone 1 should change, maybe just the reservation and some of the bottoms or land close to AF reservoir.
    This year was another example of the geese showing up late

8. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Give some more details on what you are thinking/meaning with your post Salt! Not sure what you mean by rethought for zone 3 and adjust zone 1 how, season? Area? Smaller? Smaller with longer/later season, smaller/earlier season? larger/earlier or same season. A lot of assumptions on your short post. I know we have asked in years past to shrink zone 1 but it is a no go or has been due to wanting a buffer with the Res. so enforcement as to who could/couldn't hunt the Res. I know that seems simple to most of us who have hunted the Res. Either you have a Res permit to hunt it or not. A no brainer, but, it didn't float. Not that many agree with that, but that was part of the reasoning.

I still think breaking out duck vs goose season could help resolve a lot of the issues on season timing, at lease in East/Southeast Idaho. Goose later, duck earlier :) with 2 day split to end on weekend. Many who hunt geese late aren't much interested in hunting ducks as they are a bonus with goose hunters. Duck hunters seem to take a goose if there, but don't really care much about geese. And they generally don't have the spreads etc and money to due the geese, but can do the ducks in fields after water freezes. Just saying.

9. salthunter

Are there any guys on this site from zone three?
    Zone three freezes up early with very few hunt-able spring flows . And much of 3 does not have winter access Have the early goose season than continue with Oct 1 opener for ducks and geese
    "
    I still think breaking out duck vs goose season could help resolve a lot of the issues on season timing, at lease in East/Southeast Idaho."

I was unaware of the "excuse" of the buffer area,.. The reservation boundaries are very clear and could very well be the most practical boundry

10. salthunter

"Most guys only hunt the marshes. Its all they have the gear to handle. And a late opener takes away several weeks of good hunting in exchange for two weeks in January when very few of us have the gear and places to make use of the late season. A late season when there may or may not be birds to hunt."

I think we really need the numbers on hunters and how and where they hunt.
    I havent had problems finding water with birds,.. but it is more of a handfull of decoys or a jump shoot and wait .
    I dont even know how many hunters use Market or Mud lake