Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2016 and Next 5-Year Season Structure

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by DoveMan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Too many by a lot and that's no joke. The problem with discussing an issue like this on a forum is that only us more serious waterfowl hunters get on and comment. The huge majority of hunters are more guys who hunt waterfowl and not waterfowl hunters. Same issue with the upcoming survey. The guys who will take the time to fill it out or get online is not a large number. Sad really but that's the way it is. So the seasons are set by the vocal minority. Probably true of most things in life.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

And an example of the majority speaking up held true in Idaho big game. Mostly those that hunt elk made the choices over those that are elk hunters.

3. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

The geese showed up late in area 1 after it was closed again? A pattern? You can disagree with my statement about the birds (not just geese, ducks also) showing up after Jan.15th Goosepond but the majority of hunters are well aware as is Fish and Game which is why they are responding and changing season dates to the end of January. I think it boils down to dedicated waterfowlers and fair weather waterfowlers. I had no problem finding birds when it was -22 in late December, shot our limits and hunted over open water. Saw flock after flock of ducks and geese when others have claimed no birds were around. I guess I'm in the minority because I hunt both ducks and geese equally both on water and fields. I hunted open water the last 3 weeks (still got my birds, including geese until the 10th) when I normally have a blast hunting Canadas, big ol' northern greenies and pinnies over decoys in the fields but due to the deep snow couldn't because the ranchers and farmers where I hunt had to spread hay and oats for their cattle and horses and birds flocked there by the thousands. I saw more birds the last 3 weeks of the season than I ever see the first 3 weeks of October.

4. all fowled up

all fowled up New Member

IF Steve is right. We comment because we are passionate and care about our hunting.

5. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Agree with you on first part of your thoughts. But, as to the jump shooting and waiting, I used to be able to do it, but, not any more due to a lot of health issues and I see that along with age being mentioned more and more buy waterfowler's of not being able to walk to or carry equipment as you describe it.

As to hunters using Mud/Market Lakes, OMG, opening weekend there were like, if I remember right, about 20 rigs at Market lake, an area that shouldn't have more than about 4 rigs there due to loosing hunting area, habitat and intruding on hunters there. As Steve says, these areas are getting hit more and more each year, but to many hunters, or should I say people who try to hunt ducks, this is their only option to hunt so they try to take advantage of the "early" time of year in the marsh to bag a few birds and put them in their pockets. If we move the opening date back to as late as we can, you start getting into chances of freeze up and it reduces their hunting opportunity more and more. Should we cut out their hunting opportunities just to benefit ours? I don't think so, give everyone as much opportunity as we can and opening early in that area will benefit them as well as those that can hunt late and in the snow, wind, and ice conditions.

6. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Fowled up not knowing where you are hunting but I am willing to bet if you are hunting open water when its 20 below and seeing flock after flock that you are not hunting N of the Res!