2016 Chevy 5.3V8 4x4 1500 LT Silverado

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by bomba, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bomba

bomba Senior Refuge Member

Bought this truck 2 weeks ago. I traded a 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road V6 4x4.
    I have been very pleased and surprised with the gas mileage which is 19 to 21 mpg on the road . It is very much on a par with the mid sized Tacoma that I traded.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

I do the average thing everytime I fill up. With a boat trailer (in trailer mode) I get ~15mpg with mine.

I am still not crazy about the adaptive engine control thing though.

3. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

My mom's Tahoe has it, and aside from the potential major engine issues it's not fun to drive at low speeds/stop-and-go, very jerky and aggravating

4. smashdn

Same here. The folks who love it say you cannot feel it. I can feel it in the pedal.

Trailer mode is weird. It tends to hang around in 4cyl for a longer time than with the regular shift pattern. I would think with a trailer it should never go to 4 cyl.

It did something to me it had never done before the other day. I was towing the boat and coasting down a hill and a message popped up that it had turned on engine braking. I had no idea it had engine braking.

5. JHerr

:lHigh tech machines they are. My mom is an "old lady" and she noticed the jerking etc. right after she started driving it. Why'd you ditch your old DodgeCummins?

6. smashdn

We had a kid and I was trying to free up cash for a land auction.

While the engine was rock solid the front ends on those dodges lack a little. I was continually having to do work here and there on the front end so I thought while everything was behaving I should put it for sale and get the most money I could out of it. I posted it on C-list for 14k and got 12.5k out of it. I thought that was pretty good considering the mileage.

And since it was just an extended cab I was getting tired of passing kiddo over the center console into her car seat.

Sold the dodge, got a 01 jeep cherokee and drove it for a year before buying the 2013 GMC. Still have the cherokee. It is a fun project that I drive to work and use as a hunting rig too.

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I assume you are talking about the displacement on demand where 4 cylinders are shut off when the engine isn't making power. I have a 2007 with this feature. It does help mileage but mine was an oil burner like so many others. I burned a 55 gallon drum of oil in my first engine. Started at about 60,000 miles. Motor company would never stand behind it. That engine did go 265,000 miles but I changed a bunch of plugs to get it there. I currently have 385,000 miles on the truck. Second engine and third transmission.

Overall it has been a good truck but like all things mechanical, not perfect.

8. JHerr

Cool. My old man has had a few issues with his 2004 Dodge-Cummins but it's been a pretty good truck.

I understand on the extended cab, I've got an extended cab F250, but they're only in the "F-18 seat" for 3 years or so.:l