2017-18 Season Preparation

Discussion in 'Indiana Flyway Forum' started by Ducky CPA, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ducky CPA

Ducky CPA Senior Refuge Member

So with college baseball season finally over for my son at IU and him dropped off at the Cape Cod League for the summer, now I begin preparing for the upcoming waterfowl season.

Time to begin prepping the food plots(corn & milo) and hopefully get them planted next week. Hopefully with this late planting, they will grow ok and not get flooded out which, unfortunately, has been the norm over the last several years. Would be great to have this additional food source along side of the traditional moist soil unit vegetation.

Also will be moving and resetting the skid blind in a new spot on the property. Want to make it a little more accessible and thus an easier hunt for my dad.

Of course always have the annual cleanup of all the flood debris from the spring floods.

Good thing I view this as therapy and part of the enjoyment of hunting season. Just love to see the hard work pay off during season. Let the fun begin!!

Randy_Cesco, BadBowtie and 3inch3's like this.
  2. Ducky CPA

Finally got my food plots planted. Guess better late than never!!!

3. BadBowtie

BadBowtie Elite Refuge Member

You got a extra week for prep now!

From Evansville DU Facebook post a while a go...

Great news for Southern Indiana waterfowlers!!! Our petition to change the south zone waterfowl season for this year has been heard and acted upon by our friends at the Indiana DNR. Director Cameron Clark spoke with me this morning and has confirmed they will be adjusting the south zone dates to reflect later migration patterns. The DNR has decided to continue the 9 day early season but has strategically moved it to November when we have more migrating ducks. Our season will close on January 21, 2018 which is a week later than the 2016-17 season! Here are the dates we should see published for this season:
    11/4-11/12 (1st split)
    12/2-1/21 (2nd split)

A huge thanks to the 1200 people who signed the petition and helped support this move to create better waterfowl hunting for us in Southern Indiana!

OneShotBandit and Shot Caller like this.
  4. Ducky CPA

Year of the cockleburrs at my land. Hopefully will have them under control before they mature.

5. BadBowtie

If not you'll be finding them in clothing 7 years from now!

6. Ducky CPA

Well all my work this year will be for basically nothing now--The 4+" of rain Saturday night, will have my place completely under water and destroy all my food plots, and ruin numerous other projects I have been working on the last couple of months as well. One thing is for sure--you cant control Mother Nature.

7. Ducky CPA

Well lets try this food plot thing again--broadcast Japanese Millet/buckwheat mixture last night in hopes it will take root in my barren food plot. Praying it works. If not, this will make 4 years in a row without planting a successful food plot.

Hoping all the other flooded area regenerate some new vegetation(hopefully not cockleburrs) before the first frost. Otherwise I will have one big mud flat.

8. BadBowtie

Good luck.