2017-2018 Decoy Options

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by LAquacker, Feb 12, 2017.

1. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

This coming season will be my sixth year in the game. Yeah, I know... But I want to buy my first dozen of big boy decoys. I have dozen and half of crappy cheap decoys and now its time to upgrade my game. I hunt in the South Arkansas timber so that is the environment I will be using them in. Any ideas?

I'm considering these:
    Dakota Mallard Decoys
    Avian X Mallard Decoys

Anyone know of anything else that has the size and realism as the Dakota decoys?

2. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

If you like light weight travels through the timber cherokee sports makes nice inflatable decoys...

3. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

I'm complicating your decision, but I would also take a look at the Tanglefree migration edition and GHG pro-grades. My mallards are a mix of those two and the Avian-X topflight back water birds. I like the back water birds for the head positions. I also like to mix it up. Nothing looks more fake to me than dozens of identical carbon-copies floating out on the water.

Tuleman and Ringbill like this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Dakaotas have realism? :l Go with the GHG or AvianX.

JuvieCoot, GK1, Slampiece and 6 others like this.
  5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

It would be funny if using the fewest ugliest decoys caught on as bragging rights in places like Arkansas and Canada since let's be honest, the ducks darn near kill themselves.

calstefanko likes this.
  6. RXHzfx

RXHzfx Senior Refuge Member

Hunted a few times this year with all 4 candidates... GHG progrades, Avians, Dakotas and Tanglefree migration editions... And I'll say all looked great and will decoys birds...

But sorry to say that one functioned BELOW par... and I don't mean to bash, but the Dakotas performance was unacceptable... center of gravity is off, they blow over easier than others and DO NOT self upright themselves when thrown... I'd have to go fix about 50% of the decoys that were thrown out. Thats frustrating and a waste of precious time...

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I used 24 beat to heck almost bald flambeau wigeon decoys from the 80's for the entire 2014 season. Landed birds at 20 yards from first to last day of our 100+ day season. All it got me was a good bashing even though My kill numbers were well into triple digits and limits were the normal day. I only hunt public land that is hammered daily. Guys don't want to hear that realism isn't needed. That being said, I like to look at realistic decoys.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

GHG dominate my spread but AvianX is what I buy now. Most realistic duck decoy and are durable.

9. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

An honest man. How do you stand it being there surrounded by the fakers?

I like to look at y boards and decoys I've made myself. But I really suck at making decoys.

10. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

BB kinda nailed it-When I have to walk in a ways, I carry 8-10 old Flambeau water keels and 8 or so Feather Flex (they look like a hopped up 6 year old try to draw a duck) and they work just as well when as when I use a few dozen new Higdons when I can drive closer to the blind. Realism is great for the human eye, but I'm not sure it is as important for ducks.