2017-2018 Decoy Options

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by LAquacker, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Refuge Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. I've been hunting over carrylites from the 70's my entire life. I really like the huge supermag water keels. Super light and super large. Perfect combination.

If you're hunting tight quarters in timber the ducks have limited visibility. I would focus more on visibility then realism. The bigger the better. Some of the best mallard decoys I have are G&H super mag Blue Bills. They're the size of a goose and black and white. Throw a few mallard decoys in with them and you're golden.

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've still got a variety of those brands but lately I've bought Avians & definitely like them the best. They're expensive tho.

Ringbill

3. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

I can see how mags/super mags are the way to go in timber. Visibility is a major issue.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Maximum realism may not be important to the ducks, but it is important to me....and I'm the one paying for my decoys.

cnegeese801 likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

30 years ago, I used a couple dozen Flambeau water keels (life size) to hunt flooded timber. The walk in was over a mile and those light weight decoys were a blessing. 2 ounce bank sinkers was plenty to hold them in place and cruising mallards didn't seem to have any problem seeing them. Those old decoys are in great condition even today with only the green on drake heads fading on a few of them.
    Now that I don't have that long walk, I sure like the oversize decoys and AvianX has been my choice of late. For my dollar, they are the most realistic decoy being made and after several season's use, they seem to be extremely durable. At my age, I really don't need to buy any more decoys but it's like being on drugs, you constantly need more.

LA in ATL likes this.
  6. Buttesmacker

Buttesmacker Senior Refuge Member

Avian over dakotas, but take a look at GHG Pro Grades. I transition to GHG because its lighter and still durable enough. The January mallards has good realism and size.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Wiping a little ArmorAll on the heads will help bring the green back.

8. Neckband4

Neckband4 Senior Refuge Member

I like avians but regardless you need to get over to Midwest USA. they got a hell of sale going on

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I like Avians a lot 90% of all my decoys are Avianx,ducks and goose.Realism is important to me.I know you can kill birds with less,but I like decoys that look real. If numbers arnt a big deal check out Full Curl,not for everyone but the Drakes sure are nice.

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If you can paint at all you don't need to buy new decoys. :tu:tu

smashdn likes this.