2017-2018 hunting reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

There ain't much done in SEMO for waterfowl by the MDC or DU. I've hunted here all my life and for the last 15 years we've had less ducks than the 20 years before that. We don't get big pushes of birds like we used to but more like a tiny trickle of highly educated birds. Local conservation and NWR plant very little if any crops for waterfowl to eat, unless you consider cockleburs and Johnson grass food. I live, farm and hunt within 15 minutes of two state draw areas and I'll tell you first hand that I wouldn't drive to them and hunt. Save your fuel if coming from LA. I hunt on one my farms that I raise rice on and it's not been nothing to brag about so far this season. Temps the last 7 days have been to mild here and to mild in northern MO to move anything down.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

IMG_3572.JPG A couple days ago, the boy, who is 9, and I went in a cypress and tupelo flat and we shot gray ducks. Here's 4 that he came out with.

3. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Tough first split. Finished with a couple of limits Friday and Saturday. Couple of decent hunts on Sunday of opening weekend and the Wednesday before Thanksgiving but beyond those days there was little to be said for the first 16 days.

Need 4-5 inches of rain asap and snow in the Midwest. Neither is likely to be happen anytime so we shall see what the second split brings??!

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Was certainly my slowest in recent years, but I'm afraid to say it couldn't get much worse...

5. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

One of the worst first spilts in a long time. Really similar to 1986. First split we killed maybe 50 ducks all first split. Second split opened and everyday for the rest of the season you couldn't take enough shells to kill all the ducks. Ended up killing close to 2000 birds that year. Old memories like that keeps the hope alive for better days

6. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

I hunted Banfield’s in 1986 in McGehee Arkansas. One of the best years ever. So good that Oliveris checked us twice same season. Shot so many ducks we had to have 4 duck pickers to spread them out everyday. No shortage of ducks. Thank God for seared duck breast sandwiches. We ate several limits while in the blind. I’m sorry you did not have a good season in 1986.

7. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

I just said we had one of the best seasons ever? Still hunting the same field and same pit that we did in 86. Even have the same 2 duck pickers at the camp. Funny how much doesn't seem to change but at the same time you can't keep up with the changes.

8. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Oleveris, man what a GW. Slipped up on us in a pit in Mer Rouge, LA in I think 1986 or so. It was during the point system, most don't remember that. He came in so quiet behind us only thing noticed him was my dog. He knew who killed what and when and he could have written one guy and me, I had them all piled up but somewhat separated. He listened to us for 20 minutes on
    a hybrid we shot some kind of redhead/scaup hybrid. We were figuring on how to count it and I said something like any other? and that was the right answer. Offered him some coffee,slug of water a coke,honeybun etc. He declined it all and man it was cold in the 20s or colder we broke ice with a sledge hammer that morning. He walked back out would not ride back with a guy who had to go back and get another coat. Same blind/pit week later a federal helicopter landed and checked us, real nice guys. I have some old 35mm pictures of that morning somewhere.

9. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

Scan 'em and post or it never happened.

10. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

Were you with Sherman Shaw when the helicopter landed?