2017-2018 hunting reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Biggar2000

Biggar2000 Senior Refuge Member

Sherman Shaw? I was with a group that worked for James Davison out of Ruston. We were hunting his property when they came in. I think in 86 and yes I am hunting the old photos, they should be date stamped. Lot of years since 86 I do remember 3 guys there was 5 of us in pit. If Sherman worked for James or was a guest he was there. It all went well, checked, legal, etc.
    Just blew decoys to hell and back on landing and takeoff and my dog went nuts!!! I think the FEDS were from Maryland they said or one agent was. No pictures of them they said, but the helicopter was ok they said.

2. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

Sherman has a helicopter bust on his resume. They must have kept that whirlybird busy. Up until now his was the only one I have heard about. Sherman will be disappointed to learn somebody else got busted from the sky. He wore the sky bust as a badge of honor.

3. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

LWF had their own helicopter at one time back when we use to have ducks. If I'm not mistaken it was bought with DU money.

4. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

DU Money............ The root of all evil.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Naw, the Yankees had a big fund raising drive to buy it to save the ducks from us. Was spawned by a series Dennis Anderson did about poaching here for the Minneapolis/St. Paul paper. Perhaps ironically, when I interviewed him about it, Dennis said folks were then coming out of the woodwork with poaching stories from his own state. As Dave Hall would say, it's not so much a geographical or even culural thing as one of opportunity. If the temptation's great enough, someone's going for it.

6. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the correction Rick. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on it and I've slept a few times since it was in the news. Do you know if it's still in use?

7. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

It was a USFWS helicopter, not LDWF, and they crashed it a year or 2 after it was purchased. This was over 25 years ago (late-80's), probably why you couldn't find any thing. I've still got a copy somewhere of the St. Paul Pioneer Press expose on poaching in LA that started the fund-raising effort in Minnesota. It was shortly after that I met Dave Hall as a graduate student at A&M in 1988, if I remember right.

8. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

I remember reading about this, and I also remember seeing undercover video of goose creeping. This, before the light goose conservation order was federally mandated in 1999 due to over population.

This article mentions the helicopter in question.

http://www.startribune.com/anderson...-made-world-and-bayou-better-place/269480211/

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

10. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Good finds, DComeaux. I remember the goose creeping undercover video, too.