2017-2018 hunting reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Is shooting geese with a .17 illegal? Asking for a friend.

2. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

My dad said they always ended up 1 short after a creep.... "Never walk out with an exact limit son"

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

You plainly don't know pecans about creeping in SWLA, where there's many a drained flood canal and deep drain ditch an army could march down to get next to birds. I didn't know anyone who'd bother making a really difficult creep where a big pile of geese wasn't likely, but quite a few who'd take advantage of favorable topography to slaughter them.

4. Rick Hall

I lied. Just remembered the finest speck creeper I ever saw in action: a fellow who'd don old Carhart coveralls and a dark welder's cap and crawl on his belly across dry rough-plowed ground, old A-5 (or Rem 11?) in the crook of his arms, like the old infantry he may well have been. The geese would plainly see him coming, worry about the unknown form and waddle away at first, but Clyde was gosh awful patient, and they'd eventually let him close enough to line up a few heads and shoot.

Same fellow was death with .22 shorts when the birds would body next to his isolated country home. Would fire a single shot our the window on the side of the house away from the birds, wait until they settled back down and repeat, getting closer to shooting in their direction until they were acclimated to and unworried about the little rifle crack, and he could start chipping away at birds on the edge of the body. Have no idea how many he killed that way, but he was a bachelor and likely quit when he got to what he was willing to clean.

Clyde was a good friend's uncle who may well have been in his 70s when I first watched him work on geese in the1980s, and, no, I never considered dropping a dime on him.

5. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Only when they're flying.

6. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I've been out of pocket a while. Missouri duck hunting for Mallards was the best public land hunting I have ever had in my life. I will treasure that experience for a while. Anyone else pumped for tomorrow? 400K Pintails in Southwest Louisiana. Will they stay put or be dispersed to the 4 winds for everyone to shoot at? We shall see we shall see. Only one per person though

7. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

I like how Rick smoked...but never inhaled. Your buddies' buddies...uncle's friend. STFoxtrotU :no:no

8. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I remember watching a show about Dave hall called "poachers to preachers". It highlighted a bust on a guy who was caught creeping by hall. Actually real footage if I remember. The show followed the now preacher telling his conversion story to hunters. Not to pillage and so forth. The helicopter was in The documentary...heck I had that show on the geat VHS and watched it all the time. It gave me a lot of respect for Dave Hall.

9. Rick Hall

Might want to "STFoxtrotU" your own ignorant self. Though certainly not without sin (to include inhaling), I've never crept a goose illegally or legally. Notion just never appealed to me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Clyde told me that #4 buck is hell on snow grease when you ditch sneak ‘em...