Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017-2018 Plantation Bottoms' ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Good Morning All -
    Its finally March and I figured it was time to put last season behind me & start a new Bottoms' thread. Looks like we got to start off the season in the Bottoms' by cutting and cleaning up a great big ole Cottonwood blow-down in our south end. All of the water we have held during the last couple of springs as got the dirt loose and soft and they are blowing down making room for something else I reckon. Looks like a brush pile fire in the offing coming up fast. There always seems to be something that takes a bunch of work that never has anything to do with duck huntin. Every year, its the same..

Im sure most everyone on here like to throw something on the grill. Well, last night we found a slab of salmon in the freezer from last year and thawed it out and covered it with from mojo marinate from Publix for an hour or so and threw it on the grill with a bunch of onion rings on the top rack. WHEW! was it ever good.
    [​IMG]
    Onion rings from the frozen section at the store are just wonderful on the grill too. 15 to 20 minutes later and you are stuffing your face! For the Missus' and I, its mostly chicken and a burger or two, but we sure like the fish! Ya'll need to try it, just because if you never have.
    Besides, its something to do with a glass of Crown. And, Maggie loves the skin when it comes off.

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'........

stevena198301 and Tim Andrews like this.
  2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

You share with the Missus or is that your plate?

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Hi Stevie -
    Its a big plate... That was a 1.68 pound filet. A pound for me and some left over for the Missus'... We halfed out on the onion rings. We also had a big ole baked tater, some veggies, & some kind of tough chewy bread.

Me & Maggs..........

4. bluemarlin08

bluemarlin08 Elite Refuge Member

We make a mopping sauce of cider vinegar, butter and red pepper flakes and past the salmon as it grills, very good.

5. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Looks good Rex.

Is your boat ok? I saw some bad pictures from Priest and immediately hoped you were ok over on Hickory.

Have fun with the trees in the bottoms.

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Hi H20 -
    Thank you sir, & I thank you for asking. The marina we're at faired pretty good. A couple of big cedar trees blew down in the parking lot but the boats and docks were fine. The same folks that own Cedar Creek Marina also own 4 corners on Priest. And yes sir, it got their pocket book pretty good.

Me and Maggs heading over to the Bottoms' after lunch to check on any damages. Im hoping for no more than a bunch of tree limbs on the ground.

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'...........

ldb187 likes this.
  7. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

You should snatch up those cedars for crappie beds.

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents & another Sunday morning coming down..
    Saturday was a banner for us at the Bottoms'. The starting of the spring season of butt busting! 4 or 5 hours was laughing, teasing, working, and walking. We cleaned up bout' 3 acres or so of prime planting area for Plantation Bottoms'.. Our south-end & black duck headquarters. A bunch of drift had blown it and the wind from a storm a week or two ago laid down a big cottonwood tree and all had to go.
    [​IMG]

The root/rock rake on the tractor is a life saver when cleaning up an area like this.

[​IMG]

We had several neighbors drop by to help and just say hi. It really was a nice day. That big Cottonwood tree(or some of it anyways) went home with RDS. When asked if a Cottonwood makes a good fire in the fireplace, Stuff' says, Dang Right! Its real tree wood, its free, & it beats the heck out of a rolled up newspaper.. He spend time instructing Andrew on the fine art of splitting the logs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'..

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

To tell you the truth, it was a darn fun day. Wood smoke in the air, chain saw running, & laughing. We are a very blessed group of fellas. Tom Gorman is the youngest at 63(I think) followed by Andrew at 65, me at 66, & Richard Smith says hes now 74.(that's after 3 yrs of being 73). All healthy & all still hunting. And that don't even count the days like doing what we did on Saturday and the rest of the year cleaning, fencing, planting, straying, & bush hogging. All of the things that have to be done in having your on little piece of Heaven. It aint done for you like public hunting by TWRA. They got a bunch on their hands and aint no one happy.

[​IMG]

We were there for several hours and we all forgot to go check on ole ThorneSide Cabin after the wind storms last week. I reckon I'll go back up and do that today after I check on the fires we left burning. Its always something & we love it.

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'.........

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Might want to tell Andrew that they make machines what will split wood, slicker than frog spit. Ain't no Blue Monday involved.
    'Splain to me runnin a chain saw at home is a chore but at the bottoms, it all fun & giggles. Don't have to answer, I know the reason.
    Miss Carolyn had me chorin' this week end since the weather was nice. Hours spent on the tractor and even broke out the chainsaw. She said it had to be done 'fore the rains come. Haven't been up to Little Reelfoot but I'm sure it's doin' just fine. There was lots of groceries left over for the ducks after duck season what to stoke up 'fore headin' on up north.