Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017-2018 Plantation Bottoms' ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Idle hands is the devil's workshop or something like that.

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

This retirement stuff sounds harder than real work some days. Not sure that I am looking forward to it now as I once was.

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning young Dan'l -
    See, here's the situation you forget about. All the years you think about getting to the day you get to say, "Take this job and shove it", the Missus' has been thinkin' also. Her thoughts that involve you will be cut this, move that, now you can finally clean up that, throw all of that nasty stuff away - FINALLY..... You haven't used that is 20 years - you are not going to use it now!
    This place is beginning to smell 5 years ago, so its got to be cleaned now that you got the time and nothing else to do! Then, you think, o.k. - I'll knock out the honey do's, put in some points on my card & come my time of the year I should be able to skate right through! WRONG.... Those points expired the day you made them cause they call that life. THEN, that's when you get the speech that we all dread... They start bringing up everything you did stupid for the last 30 or 40 years like it happened yesterday and they remember it like it was on video and they just watched it. Can tell you what was said, what time of the day it was and what they were wearing. You got no clue where all of that came from or what caused them to explode! Could have been the kids, you, the dog, her Momma, whatever... But, out it will come! Just when you think you finally got the time to do what you been waiting for! You got to keep moving cause its hard to hit a moving target as they say.
    Now, H.G.O.ing is entirely at different subject. That means you been slowing down and pretty much doing nothing ceptin' fun stuff(& not stuff') for a long time and they have pretty much realized that you aint going to jump ship and change anything just because you hit that magic age, whatever that is...
    What Im telling you is that if you plan on retiring anytime in your life, you got to start working on the H.G.O.ing part right now! That way, they kinda have already got use to the idea that you aint wanting to do much of anything... and, what you do get in to, you're running in turtle speed. AND, enjoying life... When folks see you and the old dog beside you sitting somewhere, they mostly say, There he is, bless his heart...

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'..........

4. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Since retirin I been so dang busy I don't know how I ever found time fo a job.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

B.B. -
    You fallin right in aint ya'! Did that Nor' easter get you today??

Me & Maggs.....

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon All -
    Saturday, me & Maggs installed a water / fuel separator on the pontoon cause' Yamaha said it really ought to have one. And, I reckon they are right. anyways, $47.00 later we got one.
    we decided we ought to make sure everything is running proper and took it out for a beer taste and test run. both worked well.

Seems that the white pelicans have graced our presence again this year. It really is odd to see them in Middle Tn. Seems everything was fishing today.
    Pelicans, cormorants, gulls, even an ole Huron made a dive or two.

[​IMG]

Just nice to be out!

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'..........

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you need to buy a Merc, Mr Rex...

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Stevena -
    I reckon Im from the Seasoned school and will stay with what I got. For years and years and years, everyone I knew that had a Merc, liked them but always had them in the shop having something done to them, always... Im sure they have changed now, but Im good. About 75% of all outboards at the marina are Yamaha... Must be a heck of a Yamaha salesman in the area.
    I used to be all evenrude & still have 2 4hp's for our duck motors although we have pretty much went to trolling mtrs for the last two years.

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'...........

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    This passed weekend was motor adjustments on the plate boat. Ole SxS thought that the motor was running a little deep for the Bottoms' and got Jim Duckworth to put a spacer on the transom to raise the motor up 1 1/2". Only problem is, in trying to plane off, the prop lost water. It could only go about 1/4 speed before the problems started. Thank goodness ole Duckworth didn't weld the spacer plate, but just bolted it on. 3 hours later, I got it back down to regular. It works perfect now and will jump out from under you!

[​IMG]

Figured while I was at it, I might as well stick on a depth finder just in case I needed to know the depth of somewhere. And, I hooked it up as any redneck would do. Used whatever I had to make it work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its junky lookin' but it works just fine! And, takes bout' 2 minutes to yank off! Its kinda like working on a tank. aint much you can to to hurt it or ding it. Heck! I even put lights back on the trlr from where they got busted off backing into ice. Don't even need the flag on the back.

Me & Maggs..........

10. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

That's almost the best RN engineered project I've seen, not the best but almost.
    I hadn't thought of 'ol Duckworth in a long time. He made one of those motor raiser gizzwallies for my boat and it's worked great for 28 years, just the right height. Poor man's jack plate.