Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017-2018 Plantation Bottoms' ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Not going to get cold enough for a freeze up, if any just a little window pane ice 'round the edges. Omar & I are going and we ain't got no ducks. Get off'n yo lazy butt.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Go for me. I'm stuck home taking care of the wife and don't know when/if I'll get out again.

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Well Stevie, I think thats exactly what you and Brad ought to do. I called my Bud, Mr. Murley to check on the status of the Bottoms' & he said that it was frozen tight this morning but hasnt looked at it this afternoon.
    Im thinking that me, my lazy butt & Maggs going to pass on it. I just aint in to breaking ice for no reason before daylight just for something to do. I'll wait til Monday and see how much it rains.

Ya'll do good and dont strain your eyes.

Hi Bill - Just how is the Missus' doing now? I know you said a month or so back it wasnt looking good for huntin. We sure hope the best for you guys!

Me & Maggs.......

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Had ankle fusion last Friday. Can't put weight on it for at least 8 weeks. Right now there's still pain from surgery. Once that's gone I hope to sneak away for a morning hunt now and then.

5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Mr. Rex,

I don't hunt the farm I used to live on any longer. I'm hunting these big woods deers now. There fairly wiley and truth of the matter is my heart just ain't in to deer hunting but no ducks. Though as I'm typing this from the deer stand wood ducks is flying over.

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Well, I sure understand that! Everytime I see a shooter in my back pasture, I think about all the work that comes after the trigger is pulled.. I cant gut them in the back cause Maggs will find it and I sure don't need that nasty stuff(not Stuff'.....) in the house.
    Then what to do with the meat I don't eat. Last week, my son says, Pops, there's a shooter so nuff' broad-side bout' 75yds out daring you! I grabbed my rifle and stepped around the corner of my office and there he stood eating wheat. A really nice 8 pointer. I propped the gun on a big cedar, knocked the safety off, and looked at him.
    THEN, reality set in.. Nope - aint happening.... I just don't want to fool with those things.

My Missus' says, Please go huntin.. Do something. Im not use to see you just sitting around... Sweetie, Im not breaking ice for ducks when there is no ducks to watch for.
    Maybe next week after some rain.. We'll see.... Besides, I'll be back in Miss in 2 or 3 weeks anyways.....

Me & Maggs................

7. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

I feel your pain. Quit deer hunting for the reasons you mentioned - except I don't have Maggs to roll in it. However, it's rare that we break ice and don't get ducks - of course I'm not hunting the 'Hick. Good luck to ya. Getting old ain't for sissies!

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

There was a little more ice than I thought there would be but the hole out in front of the blind at LR was open and it was a mallard morning. 'Twernt a great abundance of 'em but enough for an enjoyable morning. The gaddies on the other hand didn't want to play nice. Huey did good but ice was a new experience for him and he didn't like it much.

I haven't hauled down on a deer in over 40 years. Back then, most deer were on the WMAs and hunting them was a zoo. Lots of nabobs and goobers roaming the woods with guns. I had a nightmare that a kid gut shot me and left me for dead but I wasn't. I saw that as an omen and never went again. I'm not superstitious but knock on wood, I'm not pushing my luck.

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    Me & Maggs went yesterday morning, just because... It aint her fault that there is no ducks nor that I really didn't want to go, cause see does.
    She sure cant get a bite of a ham & bisket at home.. It is getting better though. We started hearing a few volleys out on the river, not many, but a few anyways. I had for that that I had a long line of diver decoys up next to the Willows bout 50 yds to the left of the blind out of the way. So, of course there were two groups of divers buzzed right in to them. Splat! right with the decoys. After the 2nd bunch did it, I remembered the decoys. Oh well..
    I did see 6 or 8 mallards and ended up with 2. At least I haven't got skunked. I reckon the best part is that I can ride the Gator right to the back of the blind so its lazy mans huntin... Could be a bunch harder for the same results. Rain coming, so the weather man says, so by next week, we just might have duck huntin' water! Merry Christmas!

Me & Maggs..............

riverrat47 and stevena198301 like this.
  10. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Atta Boy. Ol Mags put the guilt on you.