Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017-2018 Plantation Bottoms' ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Gonna get 'yo needed rain and then Ma Nature gonna freeze it up for ya, all week long. Dang 'ol duck hunter can't catch a break.

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning, er, Afternoon Gents -
    I found it this morning. The ole skunk, goose egg, zero, etc... didn't fire a shot. Didn't even see a duck until two merganzers popped up in the decoys, and they aint ducks. Started to shoot so Maggs could have something to go get but didn't. Figured I'd save them for later. Picked up at 8:30.

I stopped by the local market to get my two tenderloin biskets that I have become fond of, & got to heard in an age old conversation taking place between two other hunters big talkin'.. I heard a big ole gruff voice coughing & talking(smokin' Im sure...) about them ole boys in the blind behind them shooting "their swing ducks" and he's had enough of it. He says he's tired of being "Mr. Nice Guy"(although I aint for certain there is a nice bone in him by the language he was using..) and them fellas is fixin' to get a as-whuppin' big time! Im tired of it he says.. I really wanted to asked him how he knew they was "his swing ducks" and not the ducks that just happened to be swinging by him after they swung by the other guys 1st but figured I didn't really need to know that. And, didn't really care anyway. The gent' that he was talking to was bout half his size' so's I guessed the big fella can say what he wants to & the little one just puts out the decoys. Seems like someone is sayin those same words everywhere there is duck hunting except maybe in Ca. where they just "nice each other" to death... It was kinda funny to listen to anyway. When I was leaving, they walked out and asked me where I was huntin', and I told them I was huntin Walleye with my brother-in-law & he told me to wear camo cause they have big eyes and can see really good.

Anyway, Yes sir Stevie, Im counting on that rain coming. The table is set for the ducks to clean up what millet the turkey have left on the ground, but I cant set that they have left much laying around. 1st of all, we kinda need some ducks to add into the equation. But, If we get water, the ice eater and the genset can take the work out of a bunch of that, & we got plenty of propane in the blinds to stay warm. But, its always something aint it!

Me & Maggs............

3. GUNNERX2

Better not let Maggs smell the skunk on 'ya, might ruin her nose.
    Had to get out this afternoon and I made the rounds looking for the elusive green headed mallet and it looked pretty dismal. Then I checked a little spot (that I don't have permission to hunt) and there sat maybe 200 mallards, they knew where they were safe.

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. bluemarlin08

bluemarlin08 Elite Refuge Member

I remember one of the last times I hunted OH management area. We were in 52 in a slough and the boys in 50, in a cornfield started cussing because the ducks wanted our spot. They totally lost it.

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Hi Mr Benz -
    Those ducks always seem to want where you aint unless, of course, you are there where they is wantin', just sayin'... The Bottoms' has been both ways in the past and I reckon will be in the future..

Me & Maggs ...........

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning All -
    Well sirs, It looks like Mom Nature & Santa "synced up" and decided to help a Brotha' out. Seems as though the Bottoms' are getting some water over the weeds and in the Willows! Whew... Me & Maggs were sure getting concerned. I used to have an old friend who would always tell me, Son, if you don't get it when you want it, you will get it when you need it! True words through life! We now need it and here it is...

Im thinkin me, Maggs, & Andrew will be at it on Christmas Eve.. Who knows about Ole Stuff'.. Hes got a gate key and a spot.

Me & Maggs............

7. GUNNERX2

Whoee, there's a world of water out there. Got out this afternoon to take a look see and slash water was everywhere and not a duck to be seen. Omar & I are headed out to hunt a spot we haven't been able to hunt in several years because of a lack of water. Well, there's water there now but the ducks not so much, We'll see.

8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

They are coming. Water everywhere for sure though.

9. GUNNERX2

Saw more ducks yesterday than we've seen all season. Biggest bunch had pintails, mallards, gadwall, teal and widgeon, maybe 40-45 ducks. On the way home, Omar saw a bunch of ducks in a flooded area out in a cornfield that had of all things in it a goldeneye. Hard water is going to be a challenge.

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon All -
    I been away from the puter' for a while.. Saturday morn' found me & Maggs at the Bottoms' to check on the water level. It was up and at perfect level for ALL OF OUR BLINDS. At 5:30am, I parked about 3 or 4' from the water and went to the MollyAnn blind, mainly because it was still raining pretty good and its the driest we got. Anyway, I took notice of the level(bout crotch deep when I got there). At about 8am, I noticed that the marker I was watching was gone.. The rain kinda quit & really no ducks flying, so's me and Maggs picked up the decoys and headed back to the trk. When I got around the corner of the Willows, bout' 300 yds from my trk, I could only see 1/2 of it. OH CRAP!@!!

[​IMG]

I opened my door and the umbrella floated out!

[​IMG]

Needless to say, the inside is getting kinda stinky now from getting water in it and a wet dog smell. Its a dang good thing I camre out when I did.
    Our Boat Hide blind had been secured high up(we thought) but it was sitting at about a 45 degree slant and going under fast! I had to cut the ropes fast. The Willow Hole blind was in problems also with limbs and that had to be re-positioned. Dang! what a bunch of work.
    Went back on Sunday and got some shooting as the Bottoms' were loading up with ducks and geese. FINALLY.

Me & Andrew went back today and saw a world of ducks and geese too. I reckon all is mostly lost by the end of the week when it will be locked up with several inches of ice.. Its been a tough year for all I reckon..

Anyway..........

Me & Maggs...........