2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

No, hunted 5 of last 7 days and we shot 4 ducks and 2 geese. Like you the ducks won't even give us a look anymore. Thousands fly overhead from roost to loafing pond and then just walk up the hill to a chopped silage field and eat with the 500 head of yearlings in there. Geese have been leaving the roost and flying out to meadows and spending the day and returning after sunset. I cancelled my vacation for this week, its supposed to be 76 here today.

2. Koots1

Koots1 Senior Refuge Member

I haven't checked in here for awhile. What happened to JKern? He always seemed to report just about every day during the season in past years and always seemed to get into the birds when others weren't. Did he move away?

3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

He's still alive and kicking. I'm betting he still lurks around here.

4. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

I have definitely slowed down this year, i have worked more than i have hunted. The kid is taking over where i left off and has been doing very well killing mallards the past month. I definitely created a gdamn monster.

goosehunter140 likes this.
  5. Siouxcitysmitty

Siouxcitysmitty New Member

JKern,

Was wondering the same thing. Didn't want to ask, in case some bad happened. Glad to hear you're still kickin'! Although sorry to hear you're not hunting as much.

Just for reference...at this time last year, the waterfowl report was on page 32. This year, no Jkern, and we're on page 15 :)

jzoo likes this.
  6. Extrema1

Extrema1 Refuge Member

Now that we have Kern flushed out of the cattails, maybe we could get some prognostication on the chance of getting some new birds next week?

7. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I haven't hunted for 2 weeks but that is about to change. The super moon on Sunday and cold front should really help the bird situation. As of now Desoto Bend is full of Ducks and Geese, Sand Lake is slowly reducing numbers and Francis Case is holding about 31K Canada's. Quite a few Ducks as well. Please Lord let it happen ...

8. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget the lower end of Lake Sharpe! A bunch down there also!:tu I'm sure most of those birds won't work their way back north to Pierre if the haven't done it by now.

9. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I just checked...Desoto reports 42K+ Mallards and 8800 Canada's. They just feed on the reserve grain fields and go back to the Reserve. We need weather!

10. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Dont count on much for new ducks. That ship sailed weeks ago.

We have had quite afew for awhile now and they are super concentrated, if you have 1 then you have thousands. Problem is they are pulling this ninja move only in the dark crap like I aint ever seen before and this has been going on for weeks. You cant even traffic them when they dont even LEAVE the roost til 15-20min after sundown and they return before legal the next morning.

Kid has been hunting groups of 20-30 birds on small cricks. When they come in singles and pairs its a fast 2-3man limit. Thanks to him, pan seared duck with horseradish is almost nightly.