2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Now I know where all are pheasants went too this year!:D Great pics. and great hunts guys!!

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  2. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Had 1 helluva banger on thursday, mallard traffic from 9:30 til dark SOLID...had to call in backup after backup after backup gunners. I normally wouldnt call anyone in anymore, but those *******s have ran me ragged this season...they needed punished!! "Goosehunter 140", if you were at the "old blind"...we were in a feild within ear shot.

Hunted this afternoon, were under em for 45 min solid. Shot afew, needed the sun to make easy limit.

Should be under em til the end now.

3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

We had a pretty good day Saturday in some more heavy snow. Went to our goose pit and sat and sat and sat some more. Had a nice breakfast and finally had one single come right in with no calling and we got him. That was literally the only goose we saw so we picked up a little early and we went to one of my duck spots. They were flying pretty good in the snow and we banged out 10 mallards and 2 green wings for about an hour and a half till we had to go. We got a pile of snow at our pit now and are supposed to get another 4-6 inches today. What started out as a year with no geese around us may very well stay that way. Any new geese coming will probably keep on flying past the river since it has slush and has a good snow pack. But I am hopeful it will get better!

Neck Collar, ajj16 and GK1 like this.
  4. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

The week before it snowed. The New DSD's and Dive Bombs worked Great1 IMG_3251.JPG IMG_3362.JPG

Neck Collar, BirdJ, benadams and 3 others like this.
  5. jkern

Watched 30k mallards bail since christmas eve. Had em since before rifle season. Was cold as HELL watching the last remaining bail south this afternoon...was almost a good riddance moment.

Now if my kid tells me, dad those other mallards are still there. I might kick him in the nuts.

Time to hibernate and chase upland.

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

7. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Well the cold weather finally has the geese cooperating a little bit better. Was able to make it out with some of the guys this weekend and brave the elements. 7 man limit on Friday and 3 man limit w/ a band on Saturday. Was fun watching the geese work the spread. Thought I was going to have a few land on the layout!

Attached Files:

8. jkern

Finally gave up on ducks and concentrating on geese. Pretty comical shooting em out of that giant blind in the middle of a traffic feild. 2 dumb fremont bands

Attached Files:

Neck Collar likes this.
  9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Bigguns! Heavies just started showing up here.

10. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

We had a pretty productive morning again today. Pretty heavy fog to start off for about an hour and a half but literally not a breath of wind all morning long. Still shot a decent pile though with no wind. 4 of us shot 19 mallards, a green wing, and 5 geese off my pond and then we thought it would be a good idea to zip over to our goose pit. Horrible idea. Missed the flight except for a few stragglers but they didn't want to play. Should have stayed at the water because geese were starting to work it as we were leaving. Probably could have filled the rest of our duck limit and a smattering more of geese. That's alright though, it was a fun morning still and my dad's buddy that came along got to have a good hunt.

ajj16, GK1 and brentbullets like this.