2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

It doesn't get much better than that!

2. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

Just got back from our annual Nebraska waterfowl hunt. Thanks for the hospitality! IMG959579.jpg

3. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

Great photo Nebgoose.

I always enjoy your posts - happy to see you are passing it along - your boys had to enjoy a great hunt with Dad.

I notice your narrow river/creek & it reminds me of the Ninnescah here in central KS where we chase 'em.

Please send me a few ducks this week, if you can spare 'em

KSU86

Neck Collar and nebgoosehunter like this.
  4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Had another fantastic shoot this morning! Some phenomenal decoying, especially early on. Later in the morning the geese really didn't work great so we called it a morning with a three man limit of greenheads and 10 geese. There are so many dark geese in the valley it is crazy. My buddy further downriver said he had non-stop snows migrating up river all morning. They must have stopped between me and him because I only saw two small flocks. It looks like a solid 6-8 inches for us with 40 mph winds tonight and tomorrow. 8-12 inches closer to Scottsbluff. It will be interesting to see what happens to bird numbers. I have my annual late season hunt with some college buddies on Tuesday so I'll have a better idea right away. Should be fun still!

ajj16, Neck Collar and GK1 like this.
  5. IrvingForbes

IrvingForbes Senior Refuge Member

I'll share one more from our fantastic week. IMG_2957.jpg

6. nebgoosehunter

Oh man what a fun day with some great buddies of mine, one who I only get to hunt with about once a year. Started off on some warm water for ducks and things were a little slow. The hoard a few hundred yards up creek basically sat all morning and didn't move much and sucked everything into them. Plugged away and finished our limit of mallards by about 930. Called in two lessers into the creek also with no decoys, that was pretty sweet and probably the highlight of the day.
    [​IMG]
    Got to our goose pit and missed most of the morning flight. A few flocks were flying around as we sat down and we decoyed two pairs perfectly before lunch. Headed to town for a quick bite to eat but didn't think the afternoon was going to be that great. I was wrong and there was a strong afternoon flight. Took some time to finish our limit but I think we were done by 330. What birds that came in decoyed perfectly but we had many many birds just bypass us without even looking. The winter wheat in front of our pit has a couple inches of snow on it and it is crusted and iced over so it doesn't look very inviting. Luckily I had scratched out some dirt from the last snow and those spots were already melted so at least it looked like the geese were feeding on something. At least that is what I'm going to tell myself haha. I am probably done on ducks for the year and I will probably stay home with the family this closing weekend but what a phenomenal duck season we've had. Goose hunting is really good lately after the slow start to the year and should be good from here on out.
    [​IMG]

Mac5pack, ajj16, Neck Collar and 8 others like this.
  7. nebgoosehunter

Another report here for me lol. I thought I was done for the year on ducks but momma wanted a break from the boys so I took them out this afternoon to close out the season. I shot my 5 greenheads in 40 minutes and didn't call one time. Didn't see a whole lot but enough to shoot at. They had a blast even though they have a hard time sitting still and being quiet lol. I'm going to miss duck season as it was probably my best season ever, but I'm about ready for snows after a few more dark goose hunts.
    [​IMG]

8. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

I like the snow for the honkers, 3 man for Saturday (got out of the field before it got sloppy), and 1 short of 5 man on Sunday (buddy had to leave for work so we called it). It was fun to get into some of the little guys.
    upload_2018-1-29_18-2-43.png upload_2018-1-29_18-3-12.png

9. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Awesome! Cute kids - I hope that are full of pizz and vinegar and that they keep your hands FULL. Looks like you 3 have a lot of great years in the field together coming up!

Mac5pack and nebgoosehunter like this.
  10. nebgoosehunter

They do keep us busy, especially with a 7 month old girl in the fold now. I'm hoping she enjoys hunting like her brothers do, but I won't push it on her. If she likes it then great!

Mac5pack and Neck Collar like this.