2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Well done. The little guys. Just this last week we have seen a number of those back again. As whole, we have seen more birds back here now then we did 3 weeks ago! Birds starting to head back home!!!!

ajj16 likes this.
  2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

You working on being able to fill a goose pit by yourself? Slow down a little Champ! :dv

3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Haha, that would be fun. We only have a 4 man pit, but it would be a blast to be able to hunt my two sons, daughter, and I some day out of it.

4. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

You are blessed - beautiful family and living in God's country. Can't put a price on that.

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  5. nebgoosehunter

Tough day in the goose pit. Birds just did not fly much before noon when we picked up. Go figure, we pick up and quite a few fly. I bet we got two flocks to look at us all morning and we only shot 3. Still was fun and one of my buddies shot his first goose ever so it was still a memorable hunt!

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. nebgoosehunter

Took the morning off from work since I knew I couldn't hunt this weekend and it paid off. Found a field yesterday afternoon with about 5k snows and 10k darks in it with another 1k snows and 2k darks across the road. Got permission on the x in some winter wheat and set up most of my sillosock snows and my 5 doz canada sillosocks. If I would have had the e-caller going it would have been a great shoot but I was the only one calling and my voice went hoarse from calling so much. Still, we managed to shoot our canada's in short order and proceeded to pick through flock after flock of darks looking for specks. Never did have any come close enough. We missed some pretty close snows a few different times that were behind us, but by the time we got turned around they were pretty far. Both of us had some gun issues on a close group too. Still got 3 though so I was thrilled, since it's the regular season! As we were about done picking up I would guess we saw 25k snows migrate in from the stratosphere and drop into a feed about a mile away.
    [​IMG]

BirdJ, ajj16 and Neck Collar like this.
  7. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Last day of the season. Not a limit but there was no limit on the FUN! IMG_3603  02-11-18.JPG

BirdJ, nebgoosehunter and ajj16 like this.
  8. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Great last weekend!
    Friday was chilly, clouds and snow had the birds flying a little earlier. Started flying around 1:30-2pm. Wind was keeping the birds low, which was cool. Some of the groups would work their way up the hill to us about 5 foot off the ground right to the dekes. Managed to scratch one Speck that started to veer off at about 30 yards so we decided to take him. Also got a bonus Ross that came in with a flock of lessers, stuck out like a sore thumb so of course he got it. Ended with the 4 man limit plus the 2 bonus birds.
    upload_2018-2-12_9-55-31.png
    Saturday was chilly again and not quite as windy. Moved to a different spot in the field the birds started working Friday after we left. First bunch we got into was a group of about 12-15 juvy snow that came in on the deck from about 300 yds out, which was pretty cool, managed to scratch 7 of them. Shocked to see a whole flock of juvies in 12 degrees and snow but I wasn't mad about it :dv. Birds flew later Saturday, left the roost about 4-4:30pm. Worked more vertical with less wind, but did it right. Had lessers landing all over in the spread. Ended with the 7 man limit and 7 bonus snow for total of 42 birds.
    upload_2018-2-12_10-7-25.png
    Sunday was warmer (22 deg) and sunshine. Wind was from the south so we moved the spread again so the sun and wind would be at our back on a east facing hill. Birds waited to move till about 4-4:30pm again, but they did it even better than the day before. Lots of lessers landing all over in the spread. No bonus birds but ended the day quick with a 8 man limit of Canadas to end the season. It was quite the weekend, great way to end the season. Lots of jerky to be made.
    upload_2018-2-12_10-12-0.png

Huntges11, nebgoosehunter and don835 like this.
  9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

ajj16, your speck season is open all season long???:scratch

10. nebgoosehunter

No, it just opens back up February 3-11 for a short time in hopes to catch some reverse migrators. Great hunts ajj16!

BirdJ and ajj16 like this.