2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

I wish they split duck season like speck season too (at least in some areas)...coulda waxed limits of greenheads this weekend too, but I don't wanna open that can of worms...:l

2. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I feel for ya buy wishing for it won't get it done. You need to find someone on the Sportsmans Council and let them know your preference.

ajj16 likes this.
  3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

The ducks know when the season is over and magically appear (start feeding in the daylight). Hunting ducks in dry fields around my area is a waste of time unless it's foggy or snowing. 10 days after the season ends they start feeding at 3pm, seen it too many years for it to be a coincidence.

4. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

But that first year that they give us a split would be nice, the season would close for a few weeks and the ducks would get back on that 3pm flight, and then the second split opens again...and everybody is happy (except the ducks) haha

jzoo likes this.
  5. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

We saw maybe 10k but it was so windy everything pretty much stuck right to the river. Many groups actually roosted on the river which is not very common. Every time a flock would try and turn to work their way towards us they just gave up and kept on trucking into or with the wind. Had only several flocks fly over us. Decoyed a 5 pack and shot 3, but one of my shells didn't fire and they boogied out in a hurry. Decoyed a pair and shot them both. All in all I was happy with the morning considering the conditions and still being able to decoy a couple flocks. We have a strong south wind tonight and there are some snows migrating. Low 60's tomorrow on a south wind but then mid to high teens on Monday should stop them in their tracks. Good snow line building just north of us tomorrow and Monday.

6. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Setup our rig today...pain in the butt with frozen ground and took forever!! 1000 fb and floaters this year, over double of last year. With the juvy numbers this year, and location, it outta be a loud one.

7. nebgoosehunter

What originally looked like a repeat of last year back in January has turned into a stall. We got 2" last night and -7 and just north of me got anywhere from 5-12 inches with one location at -27. Any ground we were slowly making up burning off ice on the ponds is reversed now. Looking at the next week to ten days of temps it doesn't look very promising to burn off much snow. A few days in the 40s next week but still well below average the other days. I will probably have to go south and east a bit to shoot some snows because it will be into March before my other spots are seeing any birds.

8. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

It will be interesting to see how long before the water opens up...I've seen a few flocks of what have to be adults around the Lincoln and Omaha areas (maybe 2k), but it looks like snow is in the forecast for this weekend over here on the eastern side of the state, so I'm sure that will continue the stall...

9. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Sure quite in here, something must be happening

10. nebgoosehunter

I hear big time movement back east today. Were still a little behind here. Still trying to melt snow at one of my spots and I think they are just moving in again at my other spot.