2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Yesterday afternoon, last night, and still at it right now.

2. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

Yesterday the Mo Valley on the Iowa side easily had 1 mil + snows moving through. In the morning most were flying North, towards the afternoon the they shifted to a mostly westerly route.

3. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

Pretty good movement of adult birds along the eastern platte valley and southern NE the past 2 days, I've seen a few pics of some people with some decent success (50ish bird piles) (not sure if they were jumping or decoying) but get what you can get! Snow is disappearing fast (not much left in the southern part of the state) with the 50's temps, hopefully the water will open up by Friday. :dv

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't sound like you folks have much snow down there? Where I live we still have great numbers of Canada's hanging around since they moved backup from the south when we had 40 degree temps. for about 4 days and they have been here ever since! Doubt we will be seeing any snow geese here for awhile!!! We have around 6 inches or more of snow and the Canada's are eat on un harvested wheat fields from the drought this summer and food plots that are above the snow! Can't get food in harvested fields. So we have a pretty good snow line here which will probably keep a good number of snows down there for you folks to hammer on for a good while!!!

ajj16 likes this.
  5. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

Saw more birds this morning driving to work than I've seen in 15+ years. Looked like the early 2000's. Birds of every color coming from the north. No snow a country mile north of Omaha.

6. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

upload_2018-2-27_15-0-19.png
    They are loading up at DeSoto, pic from their facebook page

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

They must have gotten a little aggressive in their push north last night....they were headed back S down the MO all morning by the tens of thousands.

8. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Numbers of fowl of all colors over these past 36hrs is incredible!! Have NEVER had this many snows sleeping by my house...EVER!! More juvies in the flocks in this first wave than i saw all of last year combined. Already wondering if i need to take a night shift part time for more ammo money.

Neck Collar likes this.
  9. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Numbers of fowl of all colors over these past 36hrs is incredible!! Have NEVER had this many snows sleeping by my house...EVER!! More juvies in the flocks in this first wave than i saw all of last year combined. Already wondering if i need to take a night shift part time for more ammo money.

10. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Did a quick little scout up to my pasture pond to check things out and set a trail camera this morning. Ice is still about 4-5" thick but will be going off fast Friday and Saturday. Saw around 6 flocks of snows is all in my short amount of time up there. On another note, is it me or does it seem there are a lot of early birds pushing up the Missouri valley compared to years past? Have read numerous reports of birds on both sides of the river. Wonder if birds aren't cutting west over to the basins as much. Anyway, just an observation. Hope you guys are getting into them!