2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Not an over abundance in the basins, froze and not a lot of water anyways

2. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

Ever since the light geese arrived here in NE Kansas this past November & all through the winter as I watched those that didn't go any farther south, I've never seen such a higher % of juveniles as I have this migration season... Enjoy & Be Safe...NC

3. Sorny

Sorny Senior Refuge Member

Not much water in the basins, and all of the ponds/lakes are still frozen. There won't be much for snow geese in the basins this year.

4. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

Insane amounts of snows at Desoto NWR and surrounding. Hasn't been this busy in a long time! This morning looked like several large white fires with 1 mile high and 2 and 3 mile long smoke plumes that reach up and to the south! Cool stuff!

If you head into the hills west you will see a bunch here and there just flailing around looking...hmmmmmm

5. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Got the big skunk yesterday. First time in awhile. We were set up 3/4 of a mile away from a large roost but it got busted at shooting light sending birds scattered around and super high. Usually we can get birds right off that roost as they are coming off and I was banking on that knowing there wasn't going to be any wind for later on. We actually did get a few birds to work us and we probably should have shot at a pair but had others working behind them. Started seeing a good migrating around 10 but we decided to pick up because two of my buddies had to leave early and the one that was going to ride with me texted sick this morning so I would have had to pick up the whole spread by myself. I figured with zero wind it still would have been tough to decoy migrators as the pond was still mostly froze and what had thawed had skim ice from the night before still. Pretty frustrating morning all in all.

6. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

25% juvies in flocks but it dont matter when theres 20-100k every 2 miles. Feels like im in clay county all over again. Pretty damn neat when snow squalls come rolling in though and kill 50 in an hour. Need more damn jump shooters im my hood!!!

Neck Collar likes this.
  7. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Desoto Bend : "Wednesday (3/7) Morning Update: No snow geese on DeSoto Lake. We are seeing a mixture of ducks, white-fronted geese and Canada geese on the lake and in our wetlands."

Snows musta not liked the "cool" weather too much...how long until they come back ?

8. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

They might not have been on the lake, but they are around.

ajj16 and Iowa like this.
  9. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

Snows started pouring back in heavy to Desoto Wednesday night. Lots of flocks coming back south still Thursday as well. They peaked at over a million during last weekend. I have been over to Fremont up to Uhling over to Decatur and back to Omaha and they are everywhere, no surprise there though.

10. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Can't catch a break with the wind. Two times ago it was a super windy, last time it was zero wind, now tomorrow is supposed to be gusts to 50. Hoping to find a good feed tonight as there won't be much migration tomorrow probably.