2017 hunts

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Swampfoot, Nov 18, 2017.

1. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]

My Michigan buddy got a Black Belly too...but it was back at the boat...and he composed this pic....

GK1 likes this.
  2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Can I be your Minnesota buddy?

3. duckmanJR

Sure.... I believe that state is open.... :l

4. duckmanJR

Season is grinding down ...and birds are sharper.
    We had a OK weekend...Saturday was tough to dial in birds...but we killed 2 teal and 4 Ringers with 2 others lost.
    Sunday, after getting a better look at how we should hunt...we got 17 Ringers and 1 BW Teal.
    Today, we tried for the mixed bag "trifecta" of Tree duck, Mottled duck Wood duck.
    We worked at it...and got 2 tree ducks 3 wood ducks (and lost one) and three Mottled ducks.

Here is my Mottled...

[​IMG]

My Buddies big drake next to a young drake

[​IMG]

The morning birds ( son had 4....a Modu a tree duck and 2 woodies ) and buddy and I each had a bird. Mine was a tree duck and his was a drake woodie.

[​IMG]

6 more hunts to go...

5. W&W

W&W New Member

Dang the mottled ducks!

6. duckmanJR

I really should back down off them..... It is getting late season and we need to keep a few local birds ...but...the cold fronts blew all my teal out and the " Trifecta birds " is all I have going besides Ringers. We have a fair amount of Bluebills on the salt here...but the amount of work it takes to kill my 2 'bills...I'd just as soon as have a woody and a Mottled with a lot less work.

7. W&W

W&W New Member

No shame in smacking down those mottled ducks. Since the freeze up here in SC that occurred earlier this month, its just been easier and more fun to smack down the woodies. And btw, a mottled duck in our neck of the woods is a sought after trophy. Good stuff.

8. duckmanJR

Still feeling a little bad...I got the 2 teal and ...at least I'm killing Drakes.
    [​IMG]

Son and my buddy from Michigan both shot drakes also...

9. duckmanJR

Ringneck burn down plus 2 BW teal .... 3 man limit...and yes, I know that is only 12...my sons birds are not pictured.

[​IMG]

10. duckmanJR

So, Thursday was my Michigan buddies last day...
    My sons buddy took us on an airboat hunt. He had scouted some birds and his buddy placed us in one spot and my son and him went to another close by. My buddy and I got 3 BW teal and my son and his buddy got 2 BW and 1 GW teal. Unfortunately, as they were coming to get us...a flock of Black bellies were coming hard...but flared off the airboats approach...we only needed 60 seconds to close the deal..dang!
    Yesterday was airports and good bye's

Today was the last management hunt...My son would be coming in from work. As luck would have it...He caught a call late and was busy putting the fire truck back in service till after his shift change time. He got to me at 9:40 Luckily, it was a decent spot and he shot 3 spoonies and 2 teal and lost 1 teal.

I was worried that it would be slow since there were no shots early...so when a spoony came by..I dropped it. From there on it was BW teal.... finished my birds and had my son in my spot while i watched from a distance.

[​IMG]

So, tomorrow is it...last chance for a long while.